blueboy1977
11 years ago

Spring High
{{gwi:76296}}
I hope it tastes good being this early in the season

Comments (12)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

Looking good!! I've got that one also first time this year. But I'm a month behind you. I have had a dribble of fruit this winter that was set in fall. It has been surprisingly sweet and tasty. I hope Springhigh is as well!!

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Me too!!! I would like to find a real early variety that's good and sweet. I have several varieties that will follow this one so a winner may emerge. Does this berry look like your Spring High? It's from FHN so it might not be what it says it is?

11 years ago

I don't think mine is far enough along to tell but I'll check in the morning. Ya I've got about 30 plants that I'm still unsure about. But the big berried unknown from FHN that I got last year was a real find. I'm hoping it's as good this year as last. You may not have gotten that one.

11 years ago

blueboy:

My Springhigh fruit looks like yours. But that doesn't mean they are the same plant. If the fruit is very early then that's pretty significant as to ID. We'll see what they taste like.

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats good to know! What new varieties are you growing this season so we can potentially compair, assuming they are the correct varieties?

• riverman1
    11 years ago

Not fair, mine haven't even flowered yet. ;(

We had frost this morning, will be a couple weeks yet, maybe three before they flower.

RM

11 years ago

I'm supposed to have:
    Star
    Jewel
    Emerald
    Sweetcrisp
    FHN unknown
    Springhigh
    Snowchaser
    Climax
    Revillie
    Farthing
    Abundance
    Darrow
    Santa Fe

About half new and half that I'm pretty familiar with.

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jewel, Springhigh,Snowchaser and Abundance are the new ones I have from your list. Emerald and Sweetcrisp Im familiar with as well. Only time will tell. In another month or so I will start posting pics of individual plants and differences I see. Ofcourse thats all assuming they are what they say they are. I know the Windsor FHN sent me is not Windsor. I may post that one pretty soon. The differences are very noticiable.

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sun-Junkie, did you sell your plants yet? I saw them on Craigs List. You sure are proud of them;) If they sell let me know. I going to have a few to get rid of soon. Im going to wait untill I get the fruit first though.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Blueboy,

If you want an early one that is good get a southern Belle it is my earliest variety and a heavy producer. It started about 2 weeks ago. By comparison just now getting the first of the Emeralds.

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bam, Im hoping either Springhigh or Snowchaser will be my good early variety. If not those, then one of the other unknown varieties I have. I tell you what, FHN really got there plants mixed up. The windsor is wrong, Sharp Blue is Emerald, Emerald is something unknown (maybe sharp blue), 2 Jewels appear to be Jewel from the color and leaf patterns on Bradys plants. Im to the point where I dont even know what varieties I have anymore except for the ones from JF&E. Cant say enough about that operation! So your picking berries already??? You lucky dog;) Ive read that Southern Belle is very sensitive to root rot. Have you not seen that in your plants?

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Blueboy,

I have picked about 20 pounds so far I would guess. 75% plus of that 20 pounds came from those 2 bushes and they are just about done.

I have read about the root rot on the southern belle but have never had any problems with it. Now last year it did develop some leaf fungus very early and ended up shedding those leaves and growing a new set but that was the first time that had happened. I really like southern belle except it is too early. It produces a LOT of shoots from the crown but that is how it seems happiest. Mine must have 20 canes each and every year I prune out a 1/4 of them. It produces almost all of it's fruit at the top of the bush.