Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing kiwi in Az.

Posted by CaptainInsano Az. 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 20:20

Does any one out there grow kiwi in zone 9b?. I just ordered a "Tomuri" and 2 "Vincent" plants and am planning on pots at first as they will be small and then going more permanant if they survive for a while I know they grow quickly in the right condidtions, but before I go and build an arbor or trellis system, does ayone have experience with them in Arizona, I looked up the best varieties for my area and that is what I ordered. I can shade them, but am concerned that even the ambient temperature in my area may be to much, in the summer reaching upwards of 110 or even more in the glory of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing kiwi in Az.

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 10:52

I'd think to have any hope in your heat you'd need at least a 50% shade cloth overheat and on the west. The best shade cloth I've seen is aluminet. It's expensive and not the most durable but is good at heat reduction.

Kiwi isn't the most heat tolerant fruit by any means. Also not tolerant of much wind.

o

Thanks, fruitnut.
I know from what I have read that it could be quite a stretch, but I am going to try because the plants are going to be here soon. Do you know how much wind is too much I have a light breeze that blows through regularly but, where I plan to put them is in the southwest corner of my yard that is protected by a brick wall, this helps with the afternoon sun coming in from the west as well.

This post was edited by CaptainInsano on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 11:13

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 11:21

A light breeze is OK but they are less tolerant of wind than grapes in case you have experience there. Mainly the wind breaks out the young canes. Later in the year it's less of an issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here