Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting Persimmons

Posted by Americanchestnut none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 20:24

I am planning on grafting several American persimmon seedlings this spring. The trees are two years old.
Has anyone grafted persimmons? Is the timing and process the same as for apples?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting Persimmons

You want to graft dormant scions onto actively-growing understocks. Best if scions have at least 2-3 buds.
I do mostly a simple bark graft, but did simple splice/whip grafts when I first started out, with near 100% takes.
Aftercare is the most important aspect - you've got to check almost daily - and keep buds/shoots below the graft rubbed off, or the rootstock will direct resources to 'its own' material, and the grafted scion will decline/die.

o
RE: Grafting Persimmons

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 1:07

I have had success whip and tongue grafting American persimmons. Wait until the first leaf is showing on the understock. Out here that's May-way later than apples, but as you see, it's the right time for the persimmon as it starts to grow. If you graft at the same time as apples it will be very unlikely to work. I have a different climate than Lucky. Rubbing out shoots is important, but not as crucial here. One thing that killed one of mine out here in our dry summers was just 3 days of hot weather when I didn't water it for the weekend.
Good luck.
John S
PDX OR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here