Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Tree - dead branch - how to handle?

Posted by jollyrd Richmond VA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 20:25

This is our Sweet Georgia Dwarf Peach, second year. Located in full sun spot. It started to bud and bloom but only on one side (right). The pictures will show that the main trunk continues into two main branchings - left and right. The entire left branching appears dead. How do I tell if there is still any life in it? If I cut it off, the tree will be completely off balance. What to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Tree - dead branch - how to handle?

here is the close up of the point where main trunk splits into two main branches

o
RE: Peach Tree - dead branch - how to handle?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 20:49

Scrape the bark to tell what is dead, brown, and what is alive, green. You have no choice but to cut off dead wood. Young peaches are resilient. It should grow back strongly unless there are deeper issues. You can train and prune the new growth into a balanced tree. It may cost a years worth of growth and fruit but would be better than a totally dead tree.

It looks like there might be a canker where the trunk branches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here