Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting grown grape vine, berry plants and peach tree

Posted by nandakumar 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 20:35

Hi,

One of my friend has different plans for his backyard in Flower Mound (Dallas Suburb) and is giving away some of his plants and trees and I plan to get few of them and plant in my home.

I would like to get help on transplanting these plants to my backyard

Grapes - Monukka, Flame & Champanel (all are 3 year old)
Blackberry - Apache (3 year old)
Raspberry - Willamette & Meeker (2 year old)
Peach (not sure of the variety, it was planted by previous home owner) probably 5-6 years old

It would be really helpful if you could share your experiences on transplanting aforementioned plants/trees.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting grown grape vine, berry plants and peach tree

If they are dormant, it should be easy.

If they are not dormant, picture an octagon surrounding the trunk, and make shovel or blade cuts through the roots over 4 weeks, 2 opposite sides of the octagon per week. This will gradually root prune the plant, give it time to produce extra roots to help with the shock of the transplant. Once you have completed root pruning, then dig out the root ball, wrap in burlap, and transplant!

Dig your holes ahead of time, and be sure you have vitamin B1 ready to soak into the water when you irrigate that hole to insert the plant and potting soil.

Grapevines are really hard to kill, so they should be the easiest. Others may have more info on the other fruits.

Good luck!

Suzi

o
RE: Transplanting grown grape vine, berry plants and peach tree

Thanks for the responses Suzi,

When I checked last weekend, grape seems to be dormant but others started to have buds.

Hope other folks who have experience with rest of the fruit plants can respond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here