Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apricot tree oozing

Posted by melikeeatplants 9b (San Jose) (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 20:37

What is going on? The branch were the ooze is happening is dead. Should I just cut that off were the ooze is or cut right below it (taking all branching off). It's a skinny tree and you can see it is pushing out below the ooze.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apricot tree oozing

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 12:19

It could be bacterial canker or Eutypa die back. I believe the later is the primary reason they recommend pruning apricot only during the driest part of the summer. See link below to UC Davis info.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis canker info.

o

Yeah, does look like canker from the description & time of year. Wonder if I should just cut below it or exchange the tree, it's only been in ground a few weeks.

Thanks...

o

Why waste time with a loser? Exchange the tree.

o

Cut below the ooze and spray. Like your pergola! Mrs. G

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 14:03

If it's Eutypa branch die back then pruning now is exactly what you're not supposed to do. Especially if the disease is already attacking the tree. Jean has the right idea, exchange for a new tree.

o

I had MrsG's idea too, but jean's blunt posted motivated me to replace it so I did. (It's a Royal Blenheim, not an exotic variety but a good one :)

Thanks for compliment on the trellis/pergola MrsG! It's made from an old redwood deck that was here when I moved in...some better pics:

Passionfruit Side

Passionfruit

o

Melikeeatplants! Its fantastic and so lovely. Being a New Englander, I must ask, is that Passion Fruit growing? If not Kiwi, or just tell me, it is beautiful. What a great orchard. Mrs. G

o

You are correct, Passiflora Edulis (Frederick)

o

Magnificent. Lilikoi juice in Hawaii, first thing in the morning. Oh are you lucky! Mrs. G

o

Beautiful looking fruit! Don't eat too many as the acid could make you break out. If you have too many, I would buy them from you.

o

Beautiful looking fruit! Don't eat too many as the acid could make you break out. If you have too many, I would buy them from you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here