Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mullberry not breaking bud yet

Posted by yawiney 7b/8 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 20:52

I planted a bare root Mullberry this winter. It was the tallest i put in the orchard from bare root (7.5 or so feet). Everything else has broken bud, even the persimmon. i'm starting to get concerned.
The only difference with this tree is: it started bigger and I pruned it less. (It had great structure right from the nursery and large healthy roots).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mullberry not breaking bud yet

What have the temperatures been lately?
I planted three in containers earlier this year,a Silk Hope,an Illinois Everbearing and a Pakistan.Things are gradually getting warmer,it was about 65F today.Only the Pakistan has budded.The Pakistan and the Illinois are 4 to 5 feet tall and the Silk Hope a little shorter.
Maybe it will take some more heat to get it going. Brady

o

• Posted by AJBB 9b (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 23:45

I have a Black Beauty morus nigra in Arizona. Nothing happening yet either.

o

I'm in central Florida and I have one variety awake and blooming and the other 2 sound asleep still.

o

Thanks for the replies. I'm not as worried now. I guess for an earlier fruiter the Mullberry gets a later start than other fruit trees.

o

Mulberrys take a long time to break dormancy. Hence the name 'morus' for the genus they belong to, from the Latin word 'mora', meaning delay.

o

Same story here. I planted a Geraldi last spring, and, like your tree, mine has yet to emerge from dormancy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here