Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting hormone strength for blueberry cuttings

Posted by marc5 z5OH (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 21:05

I will soon be attempting to root some blueberry cuttings. From my first failed attempt, and from discussions here, I know it's not easy. Most folks here recommend rooting hormone. I bought some Hormodin 3 (strongest formula), and when I read the label, it indicated that blueberries should be treated with Hormodin 1 or 2. What do you pros think? Am I OK, or should I go to the trouble of exchanging this for the weaker formula?

Thanks,
Marc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting hormone strength for blueberry cuttings

Marc,
First of all,I'm not a pro,but I have had some success.
In all the written material I've found (so far),rooting hormone was not very effective for Blueberry cuttings propagation.It probably won't hurt,but what is more important is having a film of water on the leaves until roots form.
I use a Mist-o-matic and also a box with a timer and a pond fogger set in a tray of water,surrounded by the cuttings stuck in a peat moss/perlite mix.
The pond fogger method works fairly well and is shown by a guy on Youtube.
Are your cuttings from Winter pruning or new growth in Spring/Summer? Brady

o
RE: Rooting hormone strength for blueberry cuttings

Brady,
Thanks for the ideas on the setup for rooting. I may give that a try for summer cuttings. Based on posts by tc88 and others noting success with late winter cuttings, I'm planning to try some this week. The plan is to make a wedge or long slice cut in the stick, apply hormone, place it in a mix of pine bark and peat, then leave undisturbed in an unheated barn until spring. Then shade and occasional watering. We'll see. Your observations on the ineffectiveness of the hormone are interesting.

Thanks,

Marc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here