Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking fo advice on variety of pear tree planting

Posted by teamsturz WI (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 21:08

Just joined-1st post. Have 4 Maple trees that are interfering with power lines in boulevard and must be removed. My City will replace 2 trees at no cost. I am attempting to get a 3rd tree provided by the Power Co. that will no longer have to absorb the expense of "v-ing" them out every 4 yrs. One of the options from my city is the Clevland Pear(supposedly power line friendly). I've read some BAD reviews of this variety on this site. HOWEVER, would it be a good enough cross pollinater for a more acceptable variety in my yard? If you were in MY situation, what would you plant in the yard? (Gotta tell you, the last 2 properties that I owned, I wanted a producing pear tree on - but never got around to planting one). Would appreciate any/all advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking fo advice on variety of pear tree planting

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 2:27

If you plant a pear that is on quince rootstock or OHxF , it should be small enough to stay under the wire. Not all pears are compatible with quince. When you go to a nursery, ask them for the NAME of the rootstock. Don't accept "semi-dwarf". They often say that when they don't know or when they're too lazy to check it out and just want you to pay.
John S
PDX OR

o

Cleveland pear is, I assume, a relative of the Bradford pear of shopping mall fame- ornamental with tiny worthless (to people) fruit. Bradford flowers early and may miss most European varieties. Seckel flowers early enough and is pretty reliably self-fruitful anyway. Most Asian pears would likely be compatible.

o

Get some fruit out of the arrangement with some fruiting varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here