Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to start spring fertilizing

Posted by jimfnc 7aNC (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 21:10

We are still getting nights down in mid 20's. Last frost date is early April. I don't do heavy fertilizer but usually an early spring feeding. At what point does one start the water and fertilizer for :

apples & pears
blueberries
blackberries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to start spring fertilizing

When they first come out of dormancy they need nitrogen. (careful with the form of nitrogen for blueberries). I water as needed (soil probe) but generally as soon as I see bud swell I will check to soil because they will start using water too. If using synthetic nitrogen I'd dissolve into the water before applying per directions. If using organic nitrogen, I'd apply to the well/rootzone just before watering.

o
RE: when to start spring fertilizing

FN's advice seems good to me. By type of N, he means urea or ammonium and not nitrate for blueberries if you are going quick release.

Fertilize according to need, some soils don't need much help for some species (pears are more susceptible to fireblight when growing very vigorously).

If trees or bushes are mature and you are feeding for fruit and not leaves and wood, quick release N is best, about a week before first growth (although the window extends a couple weeks). Urea doesn't need to be dissolved but does need to be watered in. I apply right before rain when possible.

Commercial growers often use urea made for foliar application and spray the trees to get N directly to spur leaves at first growth.

I think the best source of quick release organic N is your own urine, which is also very high in K. I save mine for the purpose but in our sterile modern world this is often not acceptable. My wife is certainly not crazy about the idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here