Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how much sulfur to use for blues

Posted by riverman1 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 21:10

Today I bought some Epsoma organic sulfur for acidifying soils.

http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/pdf/products/Esp_Soil_acidif.pdf

The label says to use 2.5 cups for established plants which seems like WAY TOO MUCH.

My soil pH is in the 6 range now and I would like to bring it down a bit. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

RM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how much sulfur to use for blues

Somewhere I was told a half a handful a couple times a year per plant.

o

That's kind of what I recall hearing too. I did a search on the topic but the recommendations seem to be all over the place from a couple tablespoons to several cups per plant!

o

well... It depends on where you live... For example - we don't need ANY sulphur here at all... but our soils PH range is generally from 5 to 6.5.... I just throw normal lawn fertilizer on them and they do great.

What does your soil test say for soil PH?

Thanks

o

As John said it really all depends on your native soil OR what you have them growing in. If they are in pots or raised beds you have to be a bit more careful. Here I give each plant a couple handfulls every spring just scattered about.

o

Thanks guys........as I mentioned in the orginal post, my pH is at about 6 now. I guess I will go ahead with a few handfulls and see how it goes.

thx again.

RM

o

Riverman,

It has more to do with your native soil PH. The soil will always try to return to that state.

o

If your PH is at 6 - why would you add any Sulphur? That's plenty acidic for anything that needs acid soil....

If you are really worried about it - skip the Sulphur and just go with something like an Organic Azalea/Camellia/Rhododendron fertilizer... Epsoma makes a fine organic fertilizer for Acid loving plants.... I think it's called Hollytone or something like that...

Thanks

o

The native soil is around 7, my bark/peat mix measures at about 6.5. My well water is also at about 7......and I'm pouring gallons and gallons on it all summer. As you guys know, blues ideally like a soil that is in the 4.5 to 5.5 range. My plants are just barely showing some leaves and I haven't fertilized yet and mostly wanted to give them just a little bit of a push toward acidity as I move toward summer. When I do fertilize it will be with either ammonium sulf or an acid loving organic fert of some kind.

Thanks again...........

RM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here