Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Three-Year-Old Triple Crown Canes?

Posted by shazaam 7B (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 21:14

I have a Triple Crown blackberry that I transplanted in the spring of 2011. That year, it sent up a single cane that branched nicely, and last year it fruited on the laterals. It didn't generate any new canes last year and the existing cane showed no signs of dying, so I left it standing. Now, in the spring of it's third year, the same cane is sending out new laterals. I've never seen this kind of behavior from my other cultivars (Prime Jim, Shawnee, Apache, and Chester), and I'm not quite sure what to make of it -- everything I've read says that blackberry canes die after fruiting. Is this common for Triple Crown?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Three-Year-Old Triple Crown Canes?

I'm a novice and I haven't heard of this happening, but I've always wondered about it as well. Very curious to hear if anyone has played around with allowing blackberries and maybe raspberries to fruit for more than just one year -- not talking about the "everbearing" types but the regular ones like TC.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 2:58

another member gave me a large triple crown transplant and it behaved similar to how you described. Unfortunately I cut off most of the floricane thinking it was done.

o

One of my 3 triple crowns that i am testing did that. The blackberry didn't taste right when it did produce so i ended up chopping it off which in turn spurred extra growth. Has to do with a chemical
the plant releases when pruned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here