Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Mango is most cold hardy?

Posted by bananafan 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 21:33

I planted a mango tree in a pot, but it died after some cold spell. It lived to bloom twice, but never fruited. I think it was an ice cream mango. Does any one of you have anything to recommend--like a more cold hardy mango that is also good tasting? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Mango is most cold hardy?

Bananafan,

Where do you live? Florida, California, or elsewhere?

In California, I think there's no question that Phillipine-type mangos like "Manila" have proven to be the most adaptable. I know of trees that have actually fruited outdoors in the Sacramento Valley. (Growing up against or between buildings, which does provide some microclimate protection.)

In Florida ... well, I've *heard* that many in Florida tout "Bailey's Marvel" as the cultivar best-suited to surviving in marginal climates. Some say that it really isn't more cold-resistant, but, rather, that it grows so vigorously that it can attain a large size quite rapidly.

Larger plants are better able to survive freezes, of course. Instead of being killed outright by cold-snaps, they often just die back to thicker branches. So great vigor could be an alternative route to surviving in harsher climates, even if the cultivar in question isn't intrinsically exceptionally hardy.

But all my Florida knowledge comes second-hand; so if you live there, or in an adjoining region, you better ask some locals to get the best advice.

o

Thanks Ashok, for the info. Yep, I live in Florida. I've read some on Bailey's Marvel--that it will grow to 40-45ft. Not a problem, except the question, how does one harvest the mango on such tall tree? I prefer the semi dwarf ones that grow to 20 ft like Carrie which some said has a very sweet tasting. The one I had was a dwarf one and I planted that in a pot, but with the cold factor, some seem to think that it will survive better in the ground.

o

Bananafan,

Ah, so you are in Florida -- terra incognita to me, so you'd better take all of my advice with a grain of salt!

Having said that, if you're in a marginal climate for mangos, a "Bailey's Marvel" would probably be limited in size by that factor alone. So my guess would be that you wouldn't have to worry about how to harvest fruit 45' off the ground in any case!

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 2, 07 at 6:42

With proper pruning management, it can be kept to a reasonable size.

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here