Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweetcrisp Blueberries! For Fruitnut :-)

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 21:34

Okay, I was down in my lower garden and snapping photos, so I thought I'd share a couple of photos of my Sweetcrisp blueberries. Got these last year on Fruitnut's recommendation, so excited to see how they shape up. They are very happy down here. They get lots of just the right amount of sunshine, with filtered sun in the afternoon, when it can get pretty hot here. These blueberries are the size of marbles right now. So excited to taste them:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweetcrisp Blueberries! For Fruitnut :-)

Patty S.

Nice job! Yours do look like Sweetcrisp, the berries look pretty much spherical. Here's a picture of mine taken just now. Do the berries look the same to you?

Photobucket

o

Yes, they sure do. We had ups and downs with temps, which is why I have such a wide variety of berry ripeness and flower drop (as opposed to being grown in a greenhouse with better temp regulations). I'm so glad you told us about this variety, fruitnut! I'm very excited to try them out. I have two Sweetcrisps. The pot in the middle is an Emerald for a pollinator. That blueberry grew to nuclear proportions! It was SO vigorous and had blueberries the size of quarters, no lie. I thought they'd be icky, but they were fantastic. So sweet and so "blueberry" tasting. I need to get netting up pretty soon so the birds and hopefully the rats don't eat them all. Plus get my bait stations refilled. Between the rats, ground squirrels, rabbits, gophers and birds, it's a battle to get fruit for humans here.

Patty s.

o

Patty:

These were labeled as Sweetcrisp from FHN but may be Emerald. That's the other variety I got on that order.

Sweetcrisp in sunroom 2 13 12, Mislabeled Sweetcrisp?

o

Wow, I see what you mean, fruitnut. Significantly different fruit shape, no mistaking. Did you send FHN this photo and have them help ID this blueberry? Is this a recent photo? If so, this is much, much ahead of my Emerald. My Emerald is a wee bit behind the Sweetcrisp but just a tad. And, they will be big, big, big. My gosh, I've never seen such big blueberries ever.

Patty S.

o
maturity

Patty:

The Emerald was boosted along by my sunroom/lights. It's about half done harvest and is actually pretty good. Lots of heat and not too much water. I'm still unsure about the best water regime for high eating quality but am trying to hold back on the Sweetcrisp water also. The Sweetcrisp have been in the sunroom a few weeks so that has given them a few days push ahead. My main goal here is to spread out Sweetcrisp maturity.

I think normally you are probably a little ahead of my greenhouse, maybe even, but I'm still working on getting the temperature regime right for the high chilling sweet cherries. They are worth a week or two later start on harvest. I've had Tasty Rich aprium as early as April 15 but that will likely be late April now unless I accept a high heating bill. Probably won't do that as the earlier harvest starts the sooner it will end.

o

Patty and Steve,

Don't get mad at me but I don't believe the plants you are showing are in fact sweetcrisp. Sweetcrisp have a very unique looking Calyx, or more accurately almost a lack of a Calyx.

Look at the fruit from the patent application.....mine look just like that and I will post pictures of mine when my battery on the 35mm charges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweetcrisp

o

I wouldn't go by the calyx so much, it changes shape as the berries mature and its shape also is dependent on environmental factors. I learned this when trying to tell apart my ONeill and Ozarkblue.

Fruitnut, I'm worried about your Emerald vs Sweet Crisp since my SC are from the same nursery. Any time there is a hot variety there is a big temptation to substitute when the hot guy runs out. I already got burned on this from an eBay seller, and its one reason I don't buy any fruit plants on eBay anymore.

Scott

o

Scott,

Do you have a link to the information that the calyx changes due to environmental conditions?

I have 50 sweetcrisps purchased from 2 different commercial sources and they all look exactly the same. Here are some pics of my sweetcrisp berries. As you can see the green berries calyx look identical to the ripe berries calyx in my link in my previous post. I hope I am wrong, but don't believe I am...I still remember when my citrus trees fruited for the first time and 3 of the trees were not what they were supposed to be. Three years of waiting for fruit only to find out they were not what I wanted.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Scott:

Is your SC big enough to fruit any? Has it lost all it's leaves? Any chance you could post a picture? Anyone who bought a SC from FHN should try for at least a few berries this year. It might save a year growing an unknown.

I'm still hesitant to accuse FHN of a mixup because I could be the one with a mixup. Mine aren't far enough along to be sure how many SC I have compared to 10 ordered.

o
Second crop SC fruit

Here are pictures of my second crop Sweetcrisp from the greenhouse. This is the plant that gave the great fruit last year.

A few berries look like bamboo's, but most look more like my other pictures above with a prominent calyx. I do love the distinctive look of Bamboo's fruit but apparently the look can change with growing conditions.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Rabbit, my conclusion on the different calyx developments came from comparing all the different pictures of my two varieties I was trying to distinguish online. Your picture is also a bit further along than the other two pictures. Fruitnut, some of your Sweet Crisp have fruited in past years and were true to type, maybe you have pictures of them for comparison?

My SC from FHN were very small and didn't grow a lot last year. I doubt they will put on any berries this year.

Scott

o

Fruitnut, you read my mind (I overlapped with your last post). It is interesting how some of your berries look like Rabbits and some look like Hoosiers, all on the same plant.

In looking for other sources for SC I found that FHN is selling on eBay -- bad sign based on my past experience with eBay sellers of hot varieties. I'm not ready to pull the plants yet but would not be too surprised if they were not the right variety.

Scott

o

Scott:

Don't pull your plant. Right now I think I got 8 Sweetcrisp. If they all flower I'll know in a few weeks.

o

Scott,

The problem is if you compare pictures online not all the pictures labeled as XXX variety actually are in fact that variety. Retailers are horrible about that as they figure if it is a good picture of a "blue" berry that is good enough.

I am going to go back out and look at the small just past flower stage fruit and see what they look like.

Does anyone know what parts besides the calyx are used for identification?

o
So I guess

I looked at the small fruit and they look just like the larger fruit, no calyx though a few fruit of all sizes do have a larger calyx. Can't deny though that on Fruitnuts plants some fruit looks exactly like mine while others do have a much larger calyx. So I guess to identify the plants at least some percentage of the fruit should have a very short calyx? On mine it is probably 95%.

o

I wasn't sure whether to post this or not. I find the ethics of business owners to be important though and when I saw concern about varieties being switched in this thread I thought I should mention that the FHN owner was banned from another fruit forum for schilling on behalf of his own nursery.

FWIW, before I knew about this I did place a small order. All plants received were well packed and in good condition. I can't speak to the varieties as I haven't gotten fruit yet from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Hill Nursery Thread

o

Bamboo:

The difference may be something as simple as humidity. Mine are flowering with daytime humidity mostly below 10%, sometimes less than 1%. You have much higher humidity although Patty is higher than me as well, just not like you.

Also mine, this year at least, aren't getting pollinated by insects. No pollination in the sunroom, partial pollination in the greenhouse. The bees in the greenhouse had issues this year resulting in weak pollination. That might be the best explanation.

o

Fruitnut,

Want me to mail you a couple hundred bumble bees? I was unaware that humidity could change the look of the calyx but you are much more technically oriented to the growing process than I.

There has to be a way to identify the different varieties?

o
wag

Bamboo:

Humidity is a wag, but I could see pollination affecting the calyx. In my greenhouse I'd say some flowers were pollinated and others weren't. There was a little activity there but not much.

o

Bamboo, where did you purchase your Sweetcrisp from? I bought mine from FHN. I'd be interested in buying several plants from your nursery, then comparing them to the FHN "Sweetcrisp" plants I currently have. Now, for pollination for mine, I have a yard full of bumble bees, carpenter bees, honey bees and quite a few butterflies (Gulf Fritillaries due to the passaflora on the fence). So, I think I'm getting pretty good pollination.

Patty S.

o

To identify for sure is nearly impossible considering that there are so many varieties out there. But if you have most of the common blueberries and assume the unknown one is from one of those varieties, you can compare using the following criteria together. (1) fruit, (shape, size and taste), (2) growth habit, shape, height, branching tendency, leaf, and vigor, (3) flowering and fruiting time. Now that's assuming you have them growing in almost identical conditions side by side. You probably can make a pretty good guess though some varieties can be very close and you just can't tell them apart.

I checked the thread melikeeatplants linked regarding FHN on another forum. It's clear that place is not reputable and whoever ordered from there may have got taken. I can easily imagine that if you ordered 10 of a hot selling variety that's in short supply, they may mix in half from some several other varieties. The problem is that even if you are able to "identify" later what you got sent, it would always be something lingering at the back of your mind whether that's really the variety you think it is. I would say just get over it and label it "unknown" and enjoy it if the fruit is good. If you just have a few plants and are not a blueberry addict who wants to collect every variety out there, it probably doesn't really matter what variety it is. I would avoid ordering from that place in the future though.

o

Patty:

For what it's worth I think yours is Sweetcrisp. We'll know in a couple months.

But if you just want more I'd trust what I get from True Blue, Miller Plant Nursery, or Just Fruits and Exotics all out of FL.

o
RE: identification

Just to add that another criteria that may aid in "identifification" is the fall color. I'm not sure how significant that is for this particular southern bush case, but there can be significant fall color difference between some blueberry varieties.

o

Patty,

My two sources were:

Donna Miller at D&J BB, she is a commercial grower a couple miles from me. I bought 20 bareroot in the fall of 2010. She no longer grows plants for resale due to the high costs of the propagation fees on the new varieties ($1500 a year per variety and 30 cents a plant).

This spring went and picked up 55 gorgeous 1 gallon pots of sweetcrisp (30 of those were for me) from Trueblue plants (link below) they will ship but they have a non compete clause with the big box stores so unless you buy in quantity you pay a lot for the plants. $10.95 per plant plus shipping where as we only paid $3.50 per plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trueblue

o

fruitnut and bamboo, both thank you. Whatever they are, they look fantastic. I'm keeping them in any regard, but I think I can squeeze in 4 more pots (my husband will have thought I've lost my mind until he starts picking his own blueberries, lol!)

Patty S.

o

Patty,

Trueblue also has 3 gallon pots for just a couple dollars more per plant. Like fruitnut I would trust just fruits and exotics also. My wife and I enjoyed our trip up there and they are a top notch operation.

o

Thanks, bamboo. If I can't get my two neighbors to split an order of 25, I'll go with 4 3 gal. plants for me. Didn't think to check that, thanks for the tip! And, I'll check out Just Fruits & Exotics, too :-)

Patty S.

o

Well striking out twice, bummer. Trueblue is completely out of Sweetcrisp of any size, and Just Fruits & Exotics is not shipping any more, and even if they were, they will not ship to Calif. due to the stringent ag laws. So, back to square one in trying to find another online source.

Patty S.

o

Patty,

I have a deal for you...fly to Florida and bring me a Dekopon and I will rip a couple of sweetcrisps out of the ground for you ;)

o
This may help

Patty,

Try the link...find the sweetcrisp and click on where to obtain. There is even one in Oregon......Miller near Gainesville FL had them when I was looking as did Island grove.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweetcrisps

o
RE: Sweetcrisp Blueberries! For Fruitnut :-) More Growers

Hah! I'd be willing to smuggle a Dekopon for a Sweetcrisp plant no problem, bamboo!! I've left a message for Miller's and I'll see if Island Grove can ship to Calif. And, I'll check out the link for sure ;-)

Patty S.

o

The Emerald I picked up at Raintree has it's young stems somewhat flattened,but the more mature branches are more symmetrical.It just something I noticed with this variety that's different that my other plants.
I bought 5 Sweetcrisps from a vendor on Ebay,oasistropicalplantsandtrees,earlier this year.They had a make offer price,so we went back and forth and finally I paid a little under $60 with shipping.In their ad,they stated the the plants were between 7" and 20",closer to 7".I thought they might be bigger but were about the same size that FHN sells. Brady

o

Okay, did a little more looking at my 2 Sweetcrisp and 1 Emerald that are in a row all next to each other. The 2 Sweetcrisps do look alike. Larger leaves and much larger fruits than the Emerald. The Emerald is very vigorous and the fruit is smaller. I wonder if I ate a Sweetcrisp last year, and not an Emerald! They are sort of intertwined, so that is always a possibility I will certainly report back and let everyone know how they taste. I can't remember when they ripened for me, but by the looks of the berries, I'd say in April, and not May, as I have recorded in my fruit spreadsheet. One Sweetcrisp has some berries that are pretty far along.

Patty S.

o

Ive got 2 Sweetcrisp from Just Fruits and Exotics. Both young plants but I did leave 1 fruit bud on one of the plants just for a taste. It sprouted 4 berries and none of them have a calyx on them. They look identical to Bamboo's pics.

I also have 3 very young Sweetcrisp from FHN but no berries to speak of yet. Still way to small. I have noticed that the leafs dont look the same as my other 2 older sweet crisp from JF&E. We may be on to something here! Man Im gona be pissed if they are not Sweetcrisp! I think I will call FHN and have a few KIND words for them!

o

Patty:

Emerald fruit shouldn't be small. Mine last year was the biggest on average of anything I've grown. The fruit is flattened as in my picture above. Sweetcrisp has a smaller berry than Emerald but of course they all vary a lot on the same bush.

Blueboy:

I'm not into pulling off all the berries on vigorous plants. I think that berry removal business on young plants is overdone. We have figured out how to make them grow and fruit at the same time. Those of us with long growing seasons and vigorous varieties are playing in a different league than northern short season growers. They grow outdoors inground and may have problems with stunted growth, not us.

Vigorous young plants may not give highest fruit quality but my fruit on vigorous young Sweetcrisp last year was A+. I don't think you'll ever need to thin Sweetcrisp unless for some reason it's short on foliage. Emerald and Jewel are the types that can set too much fruit.

My 2nd crop Sweetcrisp that was 8 inches tall 22 months ago is now 5ft tall and 5ft wide. The crop it had last year certainly didn't stunt it's growth one bit.

o

fruitnut, the Emerald berries are smaller than the Sweetcrisp because they are less mature I think. I still have a fair amount of blossoms still on the Emerald, more so than my Sweetcrisps. Last year they were humongous. I mean really, really big. The size of a quarter and yes, they were flattened. So, they weren't the Sweetcrisp. Don't think either Sweetcrisp was mature enough to produce berries, and I think I got them after any possibility of bloom as well, so those must have been Emeralds I was tasting last year. I just ordered two Windsor blueberries, so I'll give this variety a try, too.

Patty S.

o

Blueboy, I don't think you can read too much into leaves when comparing immature to mature plants. We are just going to have to wait. I am probably going to get a bush from somewhere else meanwhile, it is going to be a year or two before these teeny guys I have fruit.

Scott

o

Scott, Your probably right. Thats the only time Ive ordered from FHN. Ive always ordered from Just Fruits and Exotics and I highly recommend them. There plants have always arrived in good condition except for one Gulfcoast which they replaced for free. It had stem blight and darn near died!

Those plants are tiny man! I guess thats what to expect at $5.99 a plant. If I get growth on them like I have with the others I should see some fruit next spring. Keep our fingers crossed that they are sweetcrisp.

o

This is a photo of one of those tiny plants from FHN.I bought three last Fall,unfortunately I killed the other two with too much Sulfur in their pots.I thought it was the cooler temperatures that was making it's leaves turn brown,although I was measuring the pH often,there were pockets of Sulfur that the probe was missing.By the time I realized what was happening and flushing the plants roots,only this one lived.
It is quite vigorous,whatever it is.I've kept it with my other cuttings that I took last Summer,in my house,inside a heated tub. Brady

Photobucket

o

Here's a current picture of the same blueberries as my first post above. These are part of the 10 Sweetcrisp I ordered from FHN last June. Only problem is that these aren't Sweetcrisp. The berries are too flat, too large, and too much calyx. I don't think any of my 10 are Sweetcrisp.

bamboo: Any chance these are Windsor? If not any other guesses. They are large berries and early maturity. You said your Windsor are getting ripe now. I think Windsor was one FHN was selling last June.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Steve,

As you know I grow some 14 different varieties and after this thread first came out I went and looked at each plant I had.....only the sweetcrisp had the almost non existent calyx. It is very unique. At that point I was all but certain it was not humidity that was causing the small calyx as if that was the case a lot of my varieties would be affected.

Your plants are not Windsors. I am pretty sure they are Star. I would say 99% sure. Star gets it's name from the very pretty perfect little star shaped calyx it forms on a lot of it's fruit. That is one variety I don't grow but it is a good variety and one of the earliest....hence your ripening now.

o
But Patty's

Patty's plant in the first picture is definitely not Star though.....

o

bamboo:

Thanks for the input but I've grown Star for 8 years and this isn't Star. But that's not really important. Right now I'm more concerned about getting real Sweetcrisp going. Wasting most of a year growing an unknown isn't improving my mood.

My question, should we approach FHN as a group or individually?

o

Steve,

What makes you think it isn't Star? Doesn't look like your other Star? There are only so many BB that ripen this early, right? I'm going to go look at my plants as that calyx on yours is very distinct.

Look at your fruit and Look at Patty's.....they are different varieties, correct? So that would mean the mistake was done at least twice and with different varieties. I would say as a group would hold more weight.

o
Star comparison

bamboo:

These fruits are way bigger and plumper than any I've ever had on Star. The shape of the fruit is different and on Star the five calyx "points" point out. Those above do form a very perfect star on some fruit but it's flat against the fruit, Star isn't like that. Also Star needs more chilling, is much more upright, and considerably less vigorous.

Look at my second post above. Those were labeled Sweetcrisp as well. Those calyx point out at a 90 angle. The calyx just above form a flat star. So I think I got more than one variety labeled as Sweetcrisp.

Enough to make my head spin!! Just send me the real deal!!

o
Let's narrow it down.

Here is a list of early ripening varieties.
misty

oneal

sharpblue

Millenia

sapphire

southern belle

windsor

I have Millenia, Southern Belle and Windsor and it isn't any of those. I looked at the pictures of the varieties and if it isn't Star take a look at Misty......

o

Here's a picture of Star fruit, at an earlier stage, all I've got now. The unknown fruit is earlier because it was in my sunroom a month.

Photobucket

o

Okay, here are more recent photos of my Sweetcrisps:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

What do you all think? Sweetcrisp or not Sweetcrisp??
Patty S.

o

Patty:

Those look just like mine and I'm 98% positive those aren't Sweetcrisp. The only thing that's left is to taste some and I'm the only one with this issue that has tasted them before.

My only question at this point is are we sure enough to approach FHN and should we do it seperately or together? I'll take a list of names and send them an email if that's what others want.

o

100% not sweetcrisps.

o
RE: Sweetcrisp Blueberries! For Fruitnut :-) Wee Spider

Oooh, I see I had a wee little spider on my hand, yikes!!

Patty S.

o
RE: Sweetcrisp Blueberries! For Fruitnut :-) Next Steps

Thanks, bamboo, was afraid of that. Okay, well fruitnut, why don't you contact FHN and let them know we all ordered SC's based on our conversations through GW. I ordered 4. We would have to give your our contact info off the forum in an email, which I'm fine with. Guess it's up to FHN how they want us to handle this -as a group or individually. Either way is good with me.

Patty S.

o

Here is sweetcrisp from JF&E.

Photobucket

o

Well, that definitely does not at all look like my Sweetcrisps. And, I went back and looked at my records. I had ordered 4 Sweetcrisps directly from FHN, and the 2 more through their Ebay account, for a total of 6 plants. I have them planted in 3 large pots (2 to a pot). So, I am going to contact FHN to see if they will replace. What I noticed today, if they are not out of Sweetcrisps on their web site, so I'm not holding my breath on this one. If they can't replace, I am going to ask for a refund.

Patty S.

o

Well, here's my response from FHN:

Hello we did have one isolated anomolie with one customer this issue was isolated and not likely assosiated with your order.

- floridahillnurserycom

I have responded back with photos. I have asked them to please replace my 6 total Sweetcrisps with the real thing. I surely hope they do the honorable thing, and replace my blueberries. That would go a very long way in providing some good will, and a positive customer experience. We influence an awful lot of folks out there. Let's see what they come back with.

Patty S.

o
RE: Sweetcrisp Blueberries! For Fruitnut :-) Update from FHN

Okay, here was the response back:

Jeeze your right you must have been included in that batch. Please provide the email address your paypal acct is listed under. We will make it right.

So, I will let you know what they do to "make it right". Frankly, I just want replacements with Sweetcrisps, but if they really don't have any in stock, I'll have to settle for a refund. That's okay, just glad they are willing to "make it right".

Patty S.

o

Patty,

As of 2 days ago when I looked at there website they were out of stock on Sweetcrisp.

o

The fact they show out of stock on them actually makes me feel better about the company.

o
RE: Sweetcrisp Blueberries! For Fruitnut :-) Final Update

Okay, FHN just refunded me $50.00, which I believe covered the cost of my two orders. Oddly, Paypal took out a $1.78 "fee" with no explanation, so I've emailed Paypal to see why they would charge the customer a fee for a refund. But, FHN was good on their claim to "make it right". Good for them.

Patty S.

o
RE: Sweetcrisp Blueberries! For Fruitnut :-) Info from FHN

And, their follow up message:

Hello Patty, we have sent payment of 50.00 to your paypal acct. will that cover it? The next batch of sweetcrisp that come in we will send you free package of sweetcrisp for the hastle. Please remind us less we forget your info shipping address exc.. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

Shawn and Angela

Sincerely,
Florida Hill Nursery

Very nice of them. I will definitely remind them when they show they have Sweetcrisp back in stock. Would be nice to have a few Sweetcrisps to try out here. So, now. The mystery deepens. Who wants to try to ID my mystery blueberries, lol!!

Patty S.

o

Patty,

Look up Misty and compare the pictures to your plants, see what you think.

o

Hello,
Is it best that each one contacts FHN for a refund or replacement?I bought three last fall,but they are nowhere near fruiting this year.
Thanks blueboy for getting a hold of them. Brady

o

FHN answered my email within minutes offering a refund and replacement. I said I didn't need a refund just the real deal. They insisted on a refund and promised to ship Sweetcrisp free of charge asap. They seem very concerned so I can't complain about that at all. If the new plants are the real deal I'll be very happy.

o

Good to hear they offered you the same as me, fruitnut. I have to remind them to ship me the blueberries when they come back in stock. If anyone sees this before me, please post. I will do likewise so those who have been offered free Sweetcrisp can then contact FHN to have them fufill their offer.

Patty S.

o

Steve,

I sent the pictures to Dan and he is not sure what the variety is but sounds like you will end up with those plants free and free sweetcrisps. All you lost was time.

o

This isnt good... I just ordered 2 emeralds and 4 sweet crisps from fhn about two weeks ago. Now I get to wait ages to see what I actually got. One died as soon as i got it potted and they quickly refunded the cost and partial shipping.
Stacy

o

Stacy:

I'd call and ask if they are certain this is real Sweetcrisp. If it's the same batch as we've had issues with I think they'll take care of you.

o

This is what they said.

Hello Stacy,that mixup occured to a small group of people last year and not likely associated with your order.

o

I'll probably be emailing them in a few weeks when my couple flowers bloom -- I ordered mine about the same time last year and they are probably also the wrong kind. But I will wait and see since there are blooms on them.

Scott

o

Scott,

You will have to wait for the berry to grow out some as the very small just out of flower sweetcrisps do have a significant calyx.

o

Well, I am wondering what I have since they're not Sweetcrisp. They are large. They are early. They are becoming a little flattened as they ripen. They have prominent calyx. Bamboo, don't think they're Misty. These are way ahead of my Misty up on the top of my property. Not Emerald because I bought an Emerald from FHN that grew very differently, just hugely vigorous plant, typical of Emerald. Large fruit, too, but a little later than these unknown variety. Definitely a southern highbush variety, that's for sure. Maybe Windsor??

Patty S.

o
Windsor?

Patty,

The earlier ones are easier to track down. If it would help I can take a couple pictures of the Windsor fruit tomorrow. The base of Windsor is pretty unique but that will take 5++ years to develop. They do have large slightly flattened fruit.

o

Heres what I noticed today on my "sweetcrisp" from FHN. Looking very closely at the leafs I noticed the edges of the leafs are much more serated like a steak knife than any of my SHB. The only other SHB I have that has these serated leafs is Windsor but much much finer. Its definatly not like my Sweetcrisp from JF&E. Those are smooth as they could be on the edges of the leafs. Im sure that there are only a small percentage of SHB that have such a distinct trait. That should really narrow down the search for the unknown variety we recieved.

o

That would be great, Bamboo. Blueboy, I'll check out the leaf to see if mine are more serrated than my other blueberries. Since they are so early, you're right, just a handful of SHB early blueberries. Betting this is Windsor. What else is this early?? O'Neal, Star, Jubilee, Misty, Emerald and Windsor is what I know. Any others?

Patty S.

o
RE: Sweetcrisp Blueberries! For Fruitnut :-) Fall Creek Nursery

Okay, here's Fall Creek's site that has great descriptions and good photos of some of the more unusual SHB varieties (at least more unusual to me out here in California). This might help us to ID our blueberries, perhaps.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Creek Nursery: Southern Highbush Blueberries

o

I would assume that they sent plants that they have on there web site or there supplier just totally botched there labeling system. Assuming they sent plants that they have in stock that are early narrows down the plants to a few varieties.

Snowchaser
Primadona
Springhigh
Springwide
Windsor

Of these varieties I know windsor has serrated leaf margins. Im currently searching the other patent info on the other varieties looking for serrated leaf in the descriptions. Im also fixing to look at Windsor and my FHN plants side by side and do some examining.

o
RE: Sweetcrisp Blueberries! For Fruitnut :-) Cultivar ID

Thanks, blueboy. You must be from the south :-)

Patty S.

o
Southern Boy

10-4 Patty, Houston Tx is where I call home;)

o

I sent FHN an email copy of the invoice from last September along with a little note about what was happening on here,two days ago.No reply.Maybe I was trying to be too diplomatic.I guess I'll have to keep bugging them. Brady

o

After looking at patant descriptions Snowchaser has serrated leafs and its one of the early SHB that they sell. Also on the Fall Creek Nursery web site if you look at Misty and the photo that they provide you can see serrated leafs. Dont know how trust worthy pics of blueberries are these days but that what it shows. Not sure how early Misty is either.

o
Retracting Comment

After closer inspection of Windsor I think Im going to take back that comment. I really couldnt see any serrated leafs on Windsor. I did see alittle on Emerald but very very slight. None are close to the plants from FHN. I wish someone on here could post a pic of Snowchaser?

o

blueboy, can you post close up photos of your fruit and leaves? I'd like to compare that to mine. Don't think mine are Misty. I have Misty, and it's much behind this blueberry. These unknown blueberries are ripening first for me. Even ahead of Emerald, which is right next to them. The more mature leaves are lightly serrated on my unknown blueberry.

Patty S.

o

Patty,

The Windsors.....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
Farthing

Patty,

Look up Farthing....

o

I grew Farthing one year and don't remember it being anything like my unknown.

Springhigh best fits the description of my unknown. Very large berry, very early, and an open fruit cluster. Whatever it is it should be called Star. The Star I've been growing, from more than one source, doesn't fit the name like this.Photobucket

o

Fruitnut,

Yep I assumed Star got the name from, well, that star:) I was wrong. The plant you showed as Star is Star, matches the patent photo perfectly.

Farthing is early and the patent photo does match the mystery plant quite well. I have looked at so many I can't keep them straight anymore.

o

bamboo:

Where are you checking those patent photos? When I look at the patent pictures they are so bad as to be worthless.

Here is a variety comparison chart that looks really nice. Unfortunately it has inconsistences and poor ratings. For instance most cultivars are rated 5, the highest value, for firmness. But in my experience on this scale Sweetcrisp should be 10, not 5 like most others.

Here is a link that might be useful: blueberry comparison chart

o

Bamboo, Farthing is after Star and Emerald, more a mid-early. I have blueberries that will be ripe in less than a week. That's really early. Even in this weird weather. Not so sure it's Farthing. Maybe Primadonna. I'll check out Springhigh.

Patty S.

o

Fruitnut,

I am viewing the pictures at the patent office. You have to download a viewer to see the pictures at the patent office itself, think the plugin is called alternia or something close to that. I do agree that the pictures are terrible but that plant has a pretty unique looking calyx and the pictures are good enough to see that.

UPDATE

We may never know.....I contacted the two DR's. who developed half of the varieties we enjoy and have heard from one of them and he is not sure. He said your pictures can't be used as green house grown blueberries look different than field grown (learn something new everyday). Dr. Lyrene is looking at Patty's pictures now..if he does not know what it is .......we will never know. I will keep you posted.

o

Gosh, Bamboo, that is so nice of you to do! I'll be interested to see how good they taste. Guess if they're really good, they'll be keepers. And, since we have no idea whether or not these are patented, taking cuttings and propagating for our own use would be fine. I'm anxious to see how they taste as they ripen up. We're having some nice warm weather this week, so I make be able to do a little taste-testing as early as next week, perhaps.

Patty S.

o

Patty:

That big and that early, really good is a long shot. I'll be happy if they are edible.

I certainly don't believe they are Farthing. I fruited it one year and then blight took the plant. The fruit was too late, not nearly as big, and not open clusters, to best of my memory. I think it's one of the new very early varieties.

The fruit in your recent picture above with the little spider on your hand looks identical to mine just above with my hand. They both clearly show the star shaped calyx, open cluster, and large light colored berry. The berry color will darken some but I think it's going to be a lightly colored fruit. Greenhouse and outdoor fruit looks the same to me.

o
unknown delight

Here's another picture of mine with a nickel for reference. Surely they'll taste as good as they look............only in my dreams!!!

Photobucket

o

Don't dismay, fruitnut. My Emeralds are nearly as early, maybe a week behind at the most, and they were great last year! Let's stay positive and hope this unknown variety is as good as Emerald. My Emeralds were huge, firm and very sweet and juicy, I was surprised as I had heard from some that Emerald wasn't all that good. Mine were one of the best I had.

Patty S.

o

Can't be Farthing as Dr. Lyrene is the person who developed that variety and holds the patent on it lol and 22 others:)

I'm sure they will be good.

o

blueboy,
Here is a link to Snowchaser.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snowchaser link

o
RE:RE: Sweetcrisp Blueberries! For Fruitnut :-)

Another Snowchaser pic link plus some other Southern Highbush.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Snowchaser link

o

Patty,

Dr. Lyrene is not able to identify the variety.....sorry. I am sure they will taste great though.

o

Well, foo. But thanks for having Dr. Lyrene give it a try. We'll just have to see how it tastes I guess!

Patty S.

o

Brady, Thanks for the link to Snowchaser!

Here are the pics of my leafs close up. They dont look like Fruitnuts leafs. Maybe we all got different varieties?

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
Pattys leafs

After looking at Pattys pics I can see serrated leafs on her plants. I dont see any on Fruitnuts leafs. Im pretty sure me and Patty have the same variety, not too sure about Fruitnuts. Seems they have been doing this bait and switch trick for quite awhile. Looks like Fruitnut got 2 different varieties labeled as Sweetcrisp and me and Patty got a totally different variety than Fruitnut, also labeled sweetcrisp. Classic bait and switch, kinda like going to buy that new car you saw in the newspaper car adds!

o
fhn

The only variety they sell thats early and has serrated leafs is Springchaser. I would love to hear from some one who knowingly purchased this variety. Anyone.........

o

Blueboy,

By springchaser did you mean snowchaser? If you meant snowchaser Dr. Lyrene invented that variety and as such i'm sure he would have been able to identify it.

o

Yup, thats what I meant. Well that does it, I have no idea then what it could be. I guess Ill just have to live with it.

o

Blue,

It bugged me too and I don't even have any of them...I looked at pictures of the varieties for HOURS but I figured if one the top BB experts in the country did not know what it was I wouldn't so gave up. On the PLUS side......had my first handful of sweetcrisps today and they were goooddddddd though a bit under ripe still. I just could not wait any longer lol.

o

Good for you Bam, Im a couple weeks away still I think. Nothings even turning color for me yet. Im expecting Emerald and a few Gulfcoast to start coloring up soon. I cant wait man! Ive been pacing around my BB's for a year now and my time has almost come!

As far as the unknown plants go, Ill be happy if they even fruit next year for me. Its probably some Northern High Bush or something. Know telling from those people. I cant believe they sent 3 different varieties and labeled them sweetcrisp. That just pisses me off!

o

Snowchaser fits the description except berries are listed as medium size. The second photo link of Snowchaser above does look like my berries. They have that flat star shaped calyx.

o

For what it's worth, the leaves on the two Sweetcrisp liners I received about a month ago from FHN look like the ones in blueboy1977's last photos - shaped like a spade and very finely serrated. For comparison the leaves on my Blueray and Gulf Coast are more elongated and not serrated.

gary

o

Waiting,

Are you in zone9? If so Im surprised to see your growing Blueray! I would keep a close eye on the Gulf Coast. My self and Bamboo have had stem blight issues with that variety. I believe Bam lost several Gulf Coast to stem blight. Im nursing mine back into shape, hopefully. Had to cut it down to ground level last year to get past the blighted canes. Its coming back this year pretty strong but only time will tell.

o

Blueboy is correct..not a gulf coast fan here at all. None of the bushes ever died but I got tired of losing canes on them to blight and eventually ripped them all out except 1 and it is coming out after it ripens it's berries.

o

Hey bamboo rabbit,
Maybe send it to FHN and they can resell it as a Sweetcrisp.:)Brady

o

I'm in California zone 9, so with our drier climate stem blight isn't such an issue.

o

Waiting,

There are just a lot better varieties out there than Gulf Coast. Mine are fairly old, 8 years and have been nothing but a pain with mediocre quality fruit.

Brady,

Lol....I have a feeling they would:)

o

What about the variety Legacy? early season - Star. mid/late season - Legacy.

o

Wow this is a long thread.

So are there any legit sources to consider for next season ordering? Just Fruits?

o

Yeah,Just Fruits and some people are getting Sweetcrisp from Horner Farms. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here