Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Grafting Cherry Trees

Edymnion
12 years ago

I currently have two cherry trees, a Bing and... I honestly don't recall at the moment what the other is, not particularly important for this though.

They've been in the ground a couple years now, and are doing fairly well. To increase pollination, I want to try trading branches between them. They're getting rather tall anyway, so I figure I'll be able to kill two birds with one stone. Whatever I prune off of one I can attempt to graft onto the other.

I have never grafted a tree before, but I have done approach grafting on other things (namely peppers). I suppose my main questions would be:

1) What is the best time of year to attempt grafts on cherry trees? Winter when they're dormant and not relying on the roots for food as much, spring when they're actively budding out and getting ready to grow (in the mood, so to speak), or middle of summer when they're healthy and strong?

2) My trees are fairly vertical, I'd like to see about making them a little bushier. What kind of graft would be best for this?

I can research how to do the grafts on my own, once I know when to do them, and which ones are best to do for my specific situation.

Comments (2)