Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to fertilize blueberries ?

Posted by PharmaChad 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 22:02

Ok I already fertilized before the buds emerged.
When do you fertilize again ? Do you wait
Until after you pick the berries or do you
fertilize again before berries are ripe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to fertilize blueberries ?

I usually start fertilizing when new shoot growth starts happening and keep it going,once a month through July. Brady

o

I do the same except give 1/4 strength once a week. Also through July. Then no more.
Some exceptions. I have two new plants sitting here, and they just started leafing out, actually too early for here, so bringing them inside (it's freezing out right now 29 F).
I don't plan to fertilize until I place them outside permanently.
Cara's Choice is coming in tomorrow (Yeah!).
I have
Toro
Liberty
Chandler
Southmoon
Sweetcrisp
Legacy
Cara's Choice

o

See this:

Home blueberry production in Louisiana

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/D30270C0-F2DC-4B33-8AB7-036865AB6AAE/43116/pub1978HomeBlueberryProductionHIGHRES.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Home blueberry production in Louisiana

o

Mine are fertilized weekly on plants that I want to grow taller. I only give them nitrogen though. Mine only had one application of P&K last year.

o

Is cottonseed meal a good fertilizer to use once a month for container blueberries?

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 14:40

My regimen runs along the lines of Bradybb. Not sure which fertilizer he is using, I'm using Dr. Earth Organic Acid Lovers Fertilizer.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 15:40

I'd use cottonseed meal if I could find it. Haven't tried hard enough to locate but I think it would be good.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 23:08

I'm seeing more and more of the organic seed meals, alfalfa meal and such at the local nurseries. Cotton seed meal is the top ingredient listed in the Dr. Earth Organic Acid Lovers Fertilizer formulation.

o

Does anyone worry about the arsenic containing pesticide used in cotton farm? I read several times online about this related to cotton seed meal.

This post was edited by sandiego4s on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 14:30

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here