Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackrag

When do figs bloom/fruit compared to others?

blackrag
11 years ago

So if 52 plums, pluots, peaches, nectarines, apples & pears weren't enough, I planted a couple Chicago Hardy Figs last fall due to "fruit tree gotta-have-sickness" like many on this forum have. When do they "wake-up", flower, fruit in the cycle or the typical - plum, peach, apple sequence? Thanks, Chad

Comments (9)

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

they don't flower. The flowers are inside the fig and with the varieties you bought pollination is not required. your fig trees should leaf out mid- late April if you are in zone 6A. go to youtube and watch a few videos on growing figs. Newenglandgardner make a bunch of great vids on growing figs. There are many hardy figs out there with different colors, taste, and sizes. Welcome to the world of figs. if you thought your Jonesing for fruit trees was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet. we call it fig fever and once you've caught it..... well you'll see:)

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

I'm only at the early propagation stages of the disease, but if my excitement at propagating figs is any indication, I will be clinical by the time I get my first fruits.

• blackrag
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I watched the NEnglander eat a plate of fresh figs. That's just not right.

Never had a fresh fig until last summer. I couldn't believe it!

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

yukkuri_kame,

I will be clinical by the time I get my first fruits.

You are not joking! I started out wanting about 4 apple trees and before I got a single apple (and I've only had a handful still) I had over 50 trees and various vines and bushes. I think if that first fruit came sooner it might satiate the desire for more, more, more! (but then again maybe not)

Oh, and yes, I first got 2 Chicago Hardy and now I have 7 more figs, and still have not had a ripe fig. I'm working in my technique for overwintering. So far even in my garage they died down to the root so by the time they sent up new sprouts and started to set fruit the first frosts were coming. I'll know soon if my new system works.

• clarkinks
    8 years ago

I'm growing brown turkey figs and working on rooting some new varities such as Chicago hardy in zone 5

• Liam Coldwell (Zone 9a)
    8 years ago

Figs have 2 Harvest, Breba and New Crop, Breba is on old growth and New Crop is on new growth, New Crop is typically tastier. Breba Is usually started in mid spring and harvested in late spring and summer, and New Crop is started in Summer and harvested in Fall. There are 3 Figs, Smyrna, San Pedro and Common, you have Common, Smyrna needs Fig Wasps, San Pedro needs Fig Wasps on New Crops and Commons do not need a Fig Wasp. But enjoy your Figs!

• clarkinks
    8 years ago

Thank you Liam

• Rose Rawson
    6 years ago

When I was growing up in SE Texas(8), we had 4 or 5 large fig trees. I don't know what kind they were but sometimes there were wasps flying around them. One tree was so big, I had to climb on top of the barn to reach the highest ripe fruit. Have you ever tried strawberry preserves made with figs and strawberry Jello? My mom made it. Yum.

Sixty-xxxx years later...I now live in Renton, WA (8b), which is west of the Cascade Mountains. I couldn't stand being without figs, so I bought a small Black Mission earlier this year. It's about 5-6 feet tall now, and it looks healthy. And, yes, I'm also a fruit junkie. I have 3 kiwi vines (1 is male), a grape vine, a peach, 2 nectarines (which the deer have pruned twice), several cherries (also pruned), thornless blackberries, and 3 blueberries. The blueberries and blackberries are starting to ripen. I got my first peach last year, and now I'm so hooked on fruit trees; I'm running out of room. Would you believe I have only a very small garden in a residential neighborhood? And...it's on the side of a hill.

But not to worry...we're moving to a 5-acre plot next year - if they ever get our house built. Yay! Room for more fruit! There, I'll have to worry not only about deer, but bears and other wildlife, as well! In Texas, we had every insect, and they wee all trying to eat our veggies. We don't have many insects here...our critters are a lot bigger! I'm hoping the raccoons don't get into my corn patch this year! There's a mama 'coon and four babies living somewhere around here.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus