Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do figs bloom/fruit compared to others?

Posted by blackrag 6A East PA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 22:05

So if 52 plums, pluots, peaches, nectarines, apples & pears weren't enough, I planted a couple Chicago Hardy Figs last fall due to "fruit tree gotta-have-sickness" like many on this forum have. When do they "wake-up", flower, fruit in the cycle or the typical - plum, peach, apple sequence? Thanks, Chad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do figs bloom/fruit compared to others?

they don't flower. The flowers are inside the fig and with the varieties you bought pollination is not required. your fig trees should leaf out mid- late April if you are in zone 6A. go to youtube and watch a few videos on growing figs. Newenglandgardner make a bunch of great vids on growing figs. There are many hardy figs out there with different colors, taste, and sizes. Welcome to the world of figs. if you thought your Jonesing for fruit trees was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet. we call it fig fever and once you've caught it..... well you'll see:)

o

isn't that the truth.......two years ago i had one fig.....a year ago 3 varieties.....today? Almost 50 varieties growing.

o

I'm only at the early propagation stages of the disease, but if my excitement at propagating figs is any indication, I will be clinical by the time I get my first fruits.

o

Thanks. I watched the NEnglander eat a plate of fresh figs. That's just not right.

Never had a fresh fig until last summer. I couldn't believe it!

o

yukkuri_kame,

I will be clinical by the time I get my first fruits.

You are not joking! I started out wanting about 4 apple trees and before I got a single apple (and I've only had a handful still) I had over 50 trees and various vines and bushes. I think if that first fruit came sooner it might satiate the desire for more, more, more! (but then again maybe not)

Oh, and yes, I first got 2 Chicago Hardy and now I have 7 more figs, and still have not had a ripe fig. I'm working in my technique for overwintering. So far even in my garage they died down to the root so by the time they sent up new sprouts and started to set fruit the first frosts were coming. I'll know soon if my new system works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here