Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thornless blackberries hardy to zone 4?

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 22:12

I would like to find a thornless blackberry (like Black Satin or Loch Ness) but don't know if they would survive in my zone 4 area, although this year our low was only 9 F, while some years it's -27 F.

I really want to get a few blackberries for the back of a Peter Rabbit garden I'm planning for the nieces and nephews. I only need a few bushes. If the blackberries are out, what about jewel black raspberries? I doubt most of the kids would know the difference, but are they very thorny? How is the flavor? I would really appreciate advice from someone who's grown some of these, if possible. If not, has anyone even tasted jewel? Thanks in advance :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thornless blackberries hardy to zone 4?

The Jewel black-caps are thorny--not like roses, but enough to fishhook children (and me). The flavor is more akin to black currant than to blackberry. You must let them ripen to dull black else they will not pull off of the stem. They ripen earlier than most blackberries. Much seedier in the mouth than blackberries.

Black Satin is listed by some as zone 4. Must be dead ripe else will pucker mouths, including Peter Rabbit's!

o

I am zone 5, some winters a solid zone 4..I grow Arapaho and Navajo.....they are both thornless, and very hardy here.They do come in earlier, but that's about all I can say for them. I have both thorned and thornless, and from what I grow, you seem to give up flavor when you give up thorns! I think that well trellised blackberries are easy enough to pick, and the thorns aren't that much of a problem...if I didn't already have thornless established, I wouldn't grow them...they just aren't that great.
I picked tons of wild blackberries as a kid and the thorns were just part ofthe experience...kids adapt and learn! My kids always picked thorned fruit, and they lived! Donna

o

Black Satin sounds a little tart. As for the taste, has anyone tried Loch Ness? I've read they're supposed to be sweeter and do well to zone 5.

My first choice is purple raspberry...don't care about the thorns if they're purple (LOL) Seriously, thorns are okay, as long as they're not the kind that grab you and pull you in as you walk by :)

o

I haven't had any luck with Chickasaw a thorny variety in Z5. I'd be skeptical of thornless in Z4.

o

They finally just came up with two THORNY varieties of blackberries that will survive in zone 4: Prime Jim and Prime Jan. So there's hope something thornless might appear in another 5-10 years. (I can hope, can't I?) Meanwhile you could plant one of those two and trellis it, so it's easier to pick, since you are putting it at the back of the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here