Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree sealer

Posted by mamuang MA z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 22:24

Hello,

My trees are 2-5 years old. They got little pruning these past few years because I was not sure how to go about it correctly. I've tried to learn how to prune from reading several posts here. I also like watching selected YouTube sites since I am a visual learner. It's quite intimidating. I often think that the trees they pruned on Youtube did not look anywhere like my trees. That makes it harder for me to get it right.

Today I watched on guy using tree sealer to seal all the cut wounds of the tree he pruned. I did not hear much in this forum about the use of tree sealer.

Is it really helpful to help prevent diseases from entering a tree from those wounds? If so, what brand would you recommend? If you don't use sealer, what do you do you do? Do you seal cut wounds at all. Some of the branches I pruned off (today,before I saw this guy on Youtube)were almost an inch in diameter. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree sealer

I don't use sealer in normal pruning,....only on some large limbs I take off or ugly damaged wounds from animals or other injuries I use the Dr. Farwell grafting seal.

This really helps the cut from drying and cracking, where
water and other bad stuff can penetrate...eventually a place where it can rot.

o

Some do, some don't. I never have, having been told that it inhibits the tree's natural ability to heal. Konrad knows and does a lot more than I do, but even so I think you'll find it a matter of controversy.

o

Its called prune and seal I use paste better than spray can. Seal out moisture water rot wood. Its more good practice than need I use on new planting of tree's because first year transplant growth slow healing time longer.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 9:21

As Mark pointed out, there are varied opinions about this. Some insist that tree sealers seal in moisture causing the wood to rot faster. For myself, I don't use sealer.

There have been numerous studies that show sealers offer no benefit to wound healing, but I'm not aware of any that show sealers beneficial.

I'm not saying they are not out there, just that I've not seen them. If anyone has any research showing sealers are helpful, I'd love to read it.

A few years ago there was an arborist over on one of the GardenWeb landscaping forums who posted he painted a concentrated solution of copper on large wounds. He claimed it protected the wood from rotting while the wound healed. This made sense to me, as copper is a natural bactericide/fungicide and one of the components used in treated lumber.

o

Thank you very much for all of your responses. I have to think about what I want to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here