Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winkleblack

deer fencing for orchard grant

winkleblack
10 years ago

I've heard that there may be a government program that would help cover the cost of installing a deer fence. Does anyone know about this?

Comments (11)

• olpea
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The only possible grant I could think of for deer fencing would involve non-profit organizations.

There are basically no grants/subsidies for fruit and vegetable growers. Virtually all the ag subsidies go to wealthy row crop farmers who least need them. Politicians like to subsidize corn and soy rather than healthy foods like fruits and vegetables. Idiocy.

• insteng
    10 years ago

"There are basically no grants/subsidies for fruit and vegetable growers. Virtually all the ag subsidies go to wealthy row crop farmers who least need them. Politicians like to subsidize corn and soy rather than healthy foods like fruits and vegetables. Idiocy. "
    You get a few big corporations that get the government grants and subsides but most of the row crop farmers are not wealthy and depend on the subsides to be able to afford to survive. Most of my family are farmers and it is a big gamble every year wether they can continue to farm. Between crops and equipment they may have over a million dollars tied up with no guarantee they will even make their money back much less a profit unless they buy crop insurance which basically covers their expenses but doesn't give they any income if the weather turns bad and thre crops don't make.

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

All the more reason to stop subsiding farmers for these crops. Best to move on more profitable ventures and let market forces dictate what amount of crops are grown and where they are grown...

• insteng
    10 years ago

If all the family farmers went out of business most people would starve. People who have never farmed for a living have no idea how hard a job it is or how much it costs. A tractor alone costs as much as most peoples houses. If the farmers all quit to make more money you would have to pay at least double for your food if there was any available to buy.

• olpea
    10 years ago

"but most of the row crop farmers are not wealthy and depend on the subsides to be able to afford to survive"

Insteg,

I obviously can't speak to your family situation, but I stand by my comment, and have a response to yours.

First let me say that I'm not a big ag hater. I completely support modern agriculture. I've been involved in agriculture in one way or another just about all my life.

Raised in 4-H (rabbits, pigs, beef). Went to an Ag university. Partly put myself through the university with my own square bale hay hauling crew (We could haul 1000 bales day in day out.) I went to work straight out of college for an ag company. Left the company to go into business for myself, building a 600 sow confinement feeder pig operation (13,000 feeder pigs/year).

Currently I own a small commercial peach orchard.

That said, I've heard "pity poor row crow farmers gambling on the weather need subsidies to survive" so much, it almost makes me ill.

When I was pig farming, I knew lots of row crop farmers. They work the least amount of any ag, and make the most money. They are very good at wailing about how poor they are (and paying their help very little) but most of them drive new 4X4 pickups, live in nice houses, take nice vacations, and have lots of very nice equipment.

I can't remain unemotional in discussing this because I was so close to the situation. I lived it.

I worked my butt off building a pig farm out of nothing. I worked 60 hrs./week with one day off every other week for years. At times I worked 80 hrs. week. I received no subsidies. Row crop farmers were busy during planting and harvest (in their air conditioned tractors and combines) but most of the time they had plenty of time to shoot the bull in the coffee shop. Most of the ones I knew got their businesses by inheriting large chunks of land or equipment. Wish I could be so lucky.

Anytime there is a drought or wet spring (which delays planting) the local news show row crop farmers wining about how risky or tough it is to farm. They always talk about how tough the bad year is, completely forgetting the 100s of thousands of dollars they made the previous years.

They already pay the least in taxes (all the while complaining about it) and use the most rural services. I know one who doesn't pay annual MO property tax on his grain in storage. I doubt very few do. Property tax was paid on our livestock BTW.

A simple Google search will confirm row croppers make lots of money on average (not to mention the millions of dollars of assets they own) while most of them work less hours than the rest of the population . The link below illustrates corn and soybean farmers in IL made on average $177,000 for the 5 years 2006 thru 2010. In 2011, average income was more than $200,000. Keep in mind the average household income for the rest of Americans during that time period was b/t 40 and 50K.

I don't want an single bloody dollar of my tax money going to subsidies for row crop farmers. They can take their sob stories to someone who gives a damn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn/soybean farm incomes will top 200K for 2011

• winkleblack
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, didn't think I would be launching this kind of discussion. I have uncovered a few grants that non-row-crop farms are eligible for. Valued Added, Specialty Crop are two grant programs that I've been told to apply for. And I have heard rumors about help with fencing. Just wanted to see if anyone could confirm the rumor (yes, might be wishful thinking).

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

"If all the family farmers went out of business most people would starve."

LOL ...I'm not drinking the cool-aid that you drink.

• insteng
    10 years ago

•2.2 million farms dot America’s rural landscape. About 97 percent of U.S. farms are operated by families ��" individuals, family partnerships or family corporations.

If all the family farmers went out of business tell me where you would get your food from.

• olpea
    10 years ago

"Valued Added, Specialty Crop are two grant programs that I've been told to apply for"

Winkleblack,

I looked into some specialty crop programs. Basically what I found is that they are really for someone doing research or non-profits. If you find something different, please post back.

There was a program of a federal share for putting up a hoop house. I know of one farmer who took advantage of it. I don't know if that program is still in existence. Of course all this is pittance in context of $ in the discussion above.

This post was edited by olpea on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 18:20

• charina
    10 years ago

If all the family farmers went out of business tell me where you would get your food from.
    I suspect you know that is misleading solely to make a facile point. Besides, no one insinuated all family farms were going under, should go under, or anything of the sort.

Basing your supposition on legal structure alone is poor form. The largest 9 percent of farms legally owned by families (including family corporations) produce 63 percent of US food and fiber. These are not "family" farms no matter how the agricultural department classifies them. They are major businesses with many employees that are not family. Hardly what most think of when "family farm" is thrown about without qualifications.

The subsidies that I find most disgusting is the tobacco subsidies. Quit farming the stuff if it doesn't pay and quit expecting welfare from the gov to keep producing a product used almost exclusively for unhealthy habits.

• bonnan
    10 years ago

insteng, you are fighting an uphill (actually mountain) trying to defend the Farm Bill, subsidies etc. While originally thought to be a good program it has run amuck! It is one great way for a special interest group to syphon money from the general coffers. Really, they are nothing but welfare recipients. And please don't give me that "good deed" argument about feeding the world. Do that as a non-profit and I'll commend you. Sorry folks for venting but topics like this get to me.