Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

homemade copper spray?

franktank232
11 years ago

I have a new 2lb can of K-77 root killer..its like 99% copper sulfate pentahydrate... which i think is fine for ag purposes... My problem is, how do i mix this stuff to use for PLC on the peaches? Anyone ever do this... what would the ratio be of copper to water? Should i add anything else?

Comments (12)

• franktank232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For what I can find..someone mentioned 3 tablespoons of copper sulfater per gallon of water? Doubt I can damage dormant peaches no matter the concentration...

• bberry_gw
    11 years ago

I would be worried about the pentahydrate part and the root killer name. I have found the copper sulphate used for PLC to be quite inexpensive. I think it may be called Kocide. A bag would last you many years. I have seen your beautiful trees and would hate to see anything happen to them.

• andrew_swmo
    11 years ago

Does anyone know if it is legal to use Kocide within city limits? It is getting expensive and impractical to keep buying bags of Bonide's Copper Fungicide Spray or Dust because you have to mix 4 1/2 to 6 oz per gallon of water. Thanks.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't worry about my peaches since all the ones i have now are seed grown (at least the ones in the ground that need to be sprayed) ...

The cost was my issue... I know when i bought my last bag, it was not cheap and it didn't last long and it wasn't even that strong (had to use a lot of it)... SO i had this bottle and i know that i've read of someone else using it....but can't find that old info...

• bberry_gw
    11 years ago

Saw Copper-hydroxide at about 4 lbs. for about $45. Lot of spraying in that bag! Noticed the Kocide 3000 is a finer grind and uses less actual copper.
    Andrew, the active parts of Kocide are likely the same as your other brand so why would city regs be any different? Both are fungicides.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Check with your county ag commision. I had to apply for a permit to use Kocide in my old county, but not here. The concern was for copper runoff into the marine environment where it is deadly to marine life. Al

• john_in_sc
    11 years ago

Pentahydrate just means it's not an anhydrous chemical (not Oven, kiln dried - it's in "Crystal" form that includes water)... It won't clump in the can quite so bad... but what else is in there?

Yep, be real careful about using miscellanous, untested, unlabelled herbicides for "Other" purposes....

If you are a chemistty fellow - you could probably put together your own Bordeaux mixture out of raw chemicals....

I personally wouldn't use "Root killer" as something else unless you know exactly what is in it....

• franktank232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MSDS label

{{gwi:78581}}

I'm going for it..i'll report back any negative results...

• franktank232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More i think about this, more i might just want to use a lime sulfur spray...???

• steve_in_los_osos
    11 years ago

I would choose lime-sulfur in a minute over copper (except for apricots or pluots).

As for the "root killer", I *am* a chemist and there's nothing magic about it. Just what the label says: copper sulfate pentahydrate. Find the right concentration that's used for fruit tree spraying and mix your own. End of story.

This post was edited by steve_in_los_osos on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 0:18

• franktank232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah..i wasn't sure what i was thinking...i have some sulfur in the garage, i'll pull that out...i need to spray my pears too...

thanks for thoughts/comments.

• Michael
    11 years ago

If it's PLC you are after and looking for cheap initially, why not Daconil?

I usually use Kocide but decided this Spring to go with Daconil as I have heard from Olpea that is effective for PLC, or at least it's A.I. is effective.

Cu can accumulate in some soils so I figured I'd just try the Daconil for kicks and give the soil one less shot of Cu for the year.

I think I got my Daconil at Ace or some big box store, don't imagine it shouuld be too hard to find. If nothing else it can be used on your tomatoes and onions if needed.