Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning this floppy blueberry

Posted by Buckeye85 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 22:34

I had pretty good success with this third year plant (lots of delicious fruit), but during fruiting it sort of flopped over and I know it needs pruned... I'm just not certain where to start. I know approximately zero about pruning and the internet has not offered clear guidelines. The most bowed over branches seem the thickest and I'm afraid to chop them. Any tips? Is it in awful shape? Which/what should I cut? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning this floppy blueberry

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 22:43

The alternative to chopping is training it upright. Four stakes around the container perimeter and some twine will get it upright. Hold it there a year and you'll have upright shoots. Do some pruning to balance things out. Training will give you a much bigger crop this year than severe pruning.

o

And provide full day sunlight so that the stems are stronger and more upright.

o

Is it Rubel by any chance?It has a growth habit like that. Brady

o

I had to go look at my notes because I wasn't sure...I have two the same age, so this is either a Duke or Blueray. Thank you for the tips on training it... I hadn't even considered that! I'm really just feeling my way in the dark here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here