Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rehabbingisgreen

Maxie Pear

rehabbingisgreen
11 years ago

Anyone have or going to get a maxie pear? I have considered it but am concerned with the possibility of it being susceptible to fireblight.

Love to hear other thoughts on the tree.

Comments (20)

• lucky_p
    11 years ago

Maxie, or Maxine?

• rehabbingisgreen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maxie Lucky.

Thanks Gator, my biggest worry is fireblight with it. I read that it has a long bloom time so it might have issues with that. It only comes in dwarf and standard so I've sent a message asking about rootstock.

• Tony
    11 years ago

Nice looking round hybrid pear.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Maxie Pear

• Tony
    10 years ago

Noogy,

Remember to update us with the taste down the road.

Tony

• lkz5ia
    10 years ago

I saw Stark's had a nice late season price on them, but I already have a lot of pears and haven't heard much about whether they are worth growing or not.

• Donch
    10 years ago

I just put in a Maxie pear from Starks, too. Will have a Hosui as a companion to it, but not sure about cross-pollination (opinions seem all over the place). Would very much like to hear flavor comments about the Maxie when/if it produces fruit for anyone. I'm in gopher heaven here, so have to be on guard every day - one (now deceased) got my new Kikusui pear from last year.

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

My Maxie is now dropping its second leaf. Maybe next year it fruits.

• Monyet
    10 years ago

I have a Warren pear that i don't spray,it is 9 years old and gives me 4 5gls pails of pear this year.Some of the pears are mishapened. I rate this pear as excellent to say the least. Friends and neighbours told me they have never taste pears that good.This tree takes it time going into fruiting.First pears after 6 years(5 pears) then more.

• mpachan76
    8 years ago

I have a maxie pear. This is its third season, and it has a lot of fruit buds developing. Last year it produced 6 tennis ball size pears. Very interesting taste. Very upright growth. No signs of fire blight. Deer really like this tree, I have to put a cage around it to keep the tree safe. I highly recommend this tree for the backyard orchardist. I expect to have enough this year to sell at the farm market.

• vincentkim8b
    6 years ago

Now a few year later. Please updating the taste of Maxie pear .Thank you so much. Vincent.

• mpachan76
    6 years ago

This is a nice pear tree, I trained it to an open vase shape and it appears to have slowed its vigor. The last two years the tree only produced a few pears. This year each branch is loaded with blooms. The flavor of the pears over the last two years has been similar. If picked early, the pears are crisp and juicy like asian pears, the flavor is very sweet like the asian pear but tastes like the bartlett pears. If you let the pear ripen longer, the pears become less crispy, with the texture and flavor becoming more like a bartlett pear. We prefer to pick them early, and these have quickly become our favorites early on in the harvest. If you like pears, you will enjoy these. The tree was quick to produce, and still no signs of fire blight or scab. It has been a difficult tree to find over the last 2 years.

• Tony
    6 years ago

Thanks for the update. Yeah, I am not sure why Starkbros is not offering it anymore? Maybe I can trade a stick with you Next year. I have about 15 varieties of Asian pears and 8 varieties of Euro pears.

Tony

• Donch
    6 years ago

First, I'm well aware that taste buds differ, so my opinion of the Maxie pear might apply only to myself.

I love both European and Asian pears, so was intrigued by the concept of a hybrid that offered "the best of both types" and bought a tree from Stark Bros. to add to my large hobby orchard.

After it produced its first fruit, I dug out the tree and replaced it. I was very disappointed with both the flavor or texture. To me, it was much inferior to such delicious varieties as the Warren or Hosui pears.

I'm not at all surprised that it's not being sold any longer by Stark.

• vincentkim8b
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for all information. Now you can order Maxie from One Green World or Clound Mountain nurseries.

• eastmeetwest
    6 years ago

One needs to keep in mind that fruit tree may take several years of fruiting before producing good quality fruit. It may take 3-4 years for an apple or a pear tree to produce it best quality fruit.

If you have patience or space, you may want to keep it for a few years before pulling it.

Also, different climate produces different fruit quality. Honey Crisp apple is fabulous in northern climate/colder zones. It's nothing much in warmer zones. Same things with pears and other fruit. The truth is still location, location, location.

• vincentkim8b
    6 years ago

We also appreciated all breeders. Their works take long time for hybrid fruit trees available to us.

• vincentkim8b
    6 years ago

Anyway I just ordered Seigyoku Asian pear tree, and would like to hear more about Maxie pear report. Thank you again to all of you. Vincent

• vincentkim8b
    7 months ago

Finally i got one Maxie pear tree. the tree has some fruits on it .8.5th23. waiting for tasting.