Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container apricots: question for Fruitnut

Posted by creekweb 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 22:51

I have a couple of apricot trees growing in 15 gallon pots planted last spring (from Fowlers) and now about 5 x 4 feet at shuck split stage and about to go outdoors tomorrow where they'll stay unless cold weather is forecasted. I don't plan on using any pesticides. What would you recommend as a fertilizer regimen and how often applied, how severely would you thin the fruit and any other thoughts about these that you think may be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container apricots: question for Fruitnut

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 23:40

Wow, that's interesting you are already shuck split in zone 6. And you say they are about to go outdoors. Where have they been this winter and how did you get chilling?

For fertilizer I've used 21-0-0 or one of those slow release complete fertilizers, usually some of both. As long as you get adequate growth you are OK.

I thin to about a 6 inch spacing. Could probably leave more but highest brix was always my goal. To do that you can't over crop. On a 4x5ft tree maybe 50-60 fruit but that's a pure guess. I just go by looks number of fruit compared to amount of leaves.

Water is a key factor but I never figured out how to optimize watering in a pot. Sometimes the fruit was great and sometimes not so much.

o

Thanks Fruitnut. These trees were kept in a low light space where the temperature was mostly between 35 - 45F during the winter. About 3 weeks ago they started to break bud and I moved them to an area with temps 50 - 60.

I'm surprised and encouraged that a potted apricot fruiting for the first time might sustain as many as 60 quality fruit.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 17:19

Wonderful, 35-45F will do the job on chilling. Wish I could hold that all winter on my cots. Don't put too much faith in my fruit numbers. On a first fruit tree I'd say a third to half that is more like what I've done. Cots will hold a lot of fruit. I've seen trees so heavily laden that the fruit matured a 4-6 weeks late. Not only was the fruit nearly worthless but half the trees died the next winter. They were too drained of carbohydrates to survive the cold. That won't happen at 35-45F but too much fruit can surely reduce eating quality.

Please post back with a picture and report if possible.

o

I think i had a dozen peaches on my 15 gallon tree last year... I watered it probably every single day. I'm not sure it would carry more then say 20 to 25 peaches... they were big peaches. I do feed often... Seems to me that trees in pots runt out very quickly... I was looking at my tree this afternoon in the garage and it looks loaded with fruit buds...so i'll have to report back on what kind of yield i get.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here