Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting mix for deciduous fruit tree

Posted by ahajmano sunset 23 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 22:57

I want to permanently plant a spice zee nectaplum in a large (25 gallon) container.

Any suggestion on a potting mix? Standard potting soil? Mix of potting soil and sand?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting mix for deciduous fruit tree

I went to a Raintree Nursery sponsored day of classes recently.In the container growing presentation,their botanist said they are leaning towards Fir bark mulch (or Pine is what I use most),Peat moss and Perlite,in a 50/20/30 ratio.
Nutrients and other things can be added anytime as the plant needs them. Brady

o

The Raintree suggestion is a typical light mix. Provides excellent drainage and drainage is the key issue in growing plants in a pot. Here some specialty outlets (mostly nurseries with their own green house production business) sell large bales of something called Promix that is a similar formula and quite excellent.

However, secondary issues are trying to keep the soil moist and avoiding blow over in strong winds (which doesn't even take strong winds when mix dries out).

Pots could be weighted down or supported to avoid the blow over but that wouldn't stop the need for constant water that is the largest problem with light mixes.

I make a mix of equal parts by volume of sand, compost and peat moss in my nursery and it works well although mixing takes some effort- best to pre-moisten the peat.

You probably should check the pH of any mix you make yourself. I was taught in hort school that the ideal pH for any given plant is a point lower in an organic soil- which a potting mix is. This is a point I never see mentioned in discussions of potting mix so I begin to question my teacher. Guess you should do a search to find the current thinking on this issue.

There is considerable controversy about the use of peat moss and what that means to peat bogs in Canada, but I figure that is entirely up to Canadians to sort out. We have enough of our own issues in the U.S.. Anyway, in the northeast, there are no available economical alternatives.

o

How about coconut coir? I have used it with success. They sell it online, even eBay.

o

I've used Coir too, for Blueberries,in place of Peat moss and it worked okay. Brady

o

Check the cost of shipping. I can get compressed 4 cu ft bales of peat for between 12 and $15. These are rock-hard and fluff up into a lot of stuff and along the way to and from work.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 23:57

Well composted leaf mulch could also be another option to get some water retention and organics into the mix. Many municipalities collect leaves in the fall, compost them, then provide them to residents.

o

I love leaf compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here