Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phine_gw

Where to buy grafted fruit trees in Houston?

phine
12 years ago

Hello,

I am looking to buy several fruit trees such as apple, peach, pluot, avocado, orange, tangerine, mulberry...I have a hard time to decide. After looking on Internet, I came across several web sites from Tennessee, Michigan but I don't know if the rootstocks are good for Houston soil, or will they produce fruits. I am looking for a grafted apple tree that has 2 or 3 different kind of apples to save space (semi dwarf). Also same idea of grafted peach or pluot.

Comments (6)

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

i have not seen any "fruit salad" trees sold at the nurseries.

there are the Houston Garden centers all over. if you go when they're having sales you can pick up some for over half off. this past fall they had citrus for half off, my dad and i each bought a different orange tree for $20 each.

if you are towards the south, there is Joseph's nursery down in Pearland. i bought a couple of mango trees last spring.

there's a few around the west side. right off I-10 Katy fwy south Dairy Ashford is Cornelius. and they have another over at Voss just north of Westhiemer.

over on the NW side at the NW corner of hwy 249 and beltway 8 is RCW, i bought a lemon and 2 orange trees from them two years ago.

as far as ordering plants, they cannot ship citrus into Texas. but other fruit trees should be ok.

of the fruits you mentioned, i have not had great success with apples and certain plums. citrus and peaches have been good. i have not personally grown mulberry, but have had neighbors in the past that have had them and they do very well. they do attract a lot of caterpillars.

• phine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you houstontexas123. The problem I have is to catch the sale at Houston Garden Centers. Another concern is to protect tropical trees from freeze. I threw blankets at their bottom trunk so I lost papaya, guava. My sugar apple growing from seeds did not give fruit and so was my grapefruit also from seeds. These two died from the freeze already. I will check the places that you mention.

• scaper_austin
    12 years ago

google urban harvest Houston. They used to sell some really unique trees for Houston area at the farmers market a few times a year. I think they may have an event soon. They would be great people to get to know anyway as they have classes and clinics all the time.

Scape

• redrac
    11 years ago

don't know where in Houston you are but Caldwells has some 3 in ones they are sw side offof 59 at band rd. peaches topic beauty tropic snow mid pride saturn or galaxy and red barron are great and that will give you peaches from may thru august. Apples anna golden dorsett. Apples will do well here even some of the higher chill varieties like fuji and honey crisp go to Kuffel creek and look at what they like in southern climates. minimum order is 10 but hard to find a place for that many I could take 3 or 4 but have not found anyone for the other 6 yet. Citrus almost anything watch out for tangerines some will need another tree for pollenizers. Satsumas are great here can take down to 22 degrees produce big crops little care needed good ones for here are xie shan, miho, seto, owari and miyagawa but you need to make sure they are on poncrius trifolate or flying dragon rootstock. Grapefruit do well many kinds rio red, bloomsweet, golden, cocktail, and duncan. Navels do fine although not as cold hardy cara cara red navel and n33e navel. hope this helps

• redrac
    11 years ago

don't know where in Houston you are but Caldwells has some 3 in ones they are sw side offof 59 at band rd. peaches topic beauty tropic snow mid pride saturn or galaxy and red barron are great and that will give you peaches from may thru august. Apples anna golden dorsett. Apples will do well here even some of the higher chill varieties like fuji and honey crisp go to Kuffel creek and look at what they like in southern climates. minimum order is 10 but hard to find a place for that many I could take 3 or 4 but have not found anyone for the other 6 yet. Citrus almost anything watch out for tangerines some will need another tree for pollenizers. Satsumas are great here can take down to 22 degrees produce big crops little care needed good ones for here are xie shan, miho, seto, owari and miyagawa but you need to make sure they are on poncrius trifolate or flying dragon rootstock. Grapefruit do well many kinds rio red, bloomsweet, golden, cocktail, and duncan. Navels do fine although not as cold hardy cara cara red navel and n33e navel. hope this helps

• insteng
    11 years ago

I live in Houston and the citrus does really good here. After you get them established I have never had a problem with them freezing. I have both oranges, and tangerines growing here and the trees are loaded. I never do anythnig to the trees just trim them back a little when they get too large. A lot of times you can get the citrus trees from any Lowes or Home Depot in the garden center. I just bought several peach and nectarine trees from Lowes when they were getting rid of them for $6 each.