Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elberta Peach

Posted by caldruid CA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 23:18

Hi,

I bought an Elberta peach sapling( no leaves ) from Costco about 3-4 weeks ago. I planted it in a spot where there is sunlight for about 6 hours everyday ( not direct sunlight but diffused ) . The soil is about 8 inches deep with the last couple of inches being a mix of sandy+clay. Ive been watering it about once a week. However, I still haven't seen a single leaf on it and it's been almost 4 weeks now.
In the same time, another sapling I bought - an apricot sapling, has started growing leaves and new stems. The apricot sapling is in similar soil and gets water just as regularly as the peach sapling. However the apricot sapling is in direct sunlight.

How long does it take for the Elberta peach to start growing leaves/stems/buds ? Is sunlight the issue here ? Should I be replacing the entire soil with new gardening soil ? Please help.

Prakash

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elberta Peach

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 23:29

Sunlight isn't the issue on your current dilemma. It would start growing in total darkness, just won't turn green. Lack of adequate light might be an issue later on with fruiting but not now.

Your tree may just need more time. As long as the bark remains green when scratched it has a chance.

o
RE: Elberta Peach

Thank you fruitnut. I will give it a couple of weeks more and report here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here