Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
California pepper tree mulch: is it terminal?

Posted by darthtrader 10 SoCal (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 23:22

Much like eucalyptus, california pepper trees have allelopathic properties. A load of wood chips from a local tree service contained pepper tree chippings as well as citrus trees. It's already been spread over a few stone fruit trees. How concerned should I be about this mulch retarding or possibly killing my fruit trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: California pepper tree mulch: is it terminal?

Slim to none?

I've gotten heavy loads of eucalyptus mulch from trimmers with no issues.

I think the problem is more where those trees are growing with active root systems.

o

Cool. Thanks melineeatplants. So much conflicting info out there on the web. Good to get info from a person who actually has first hand experience.

o

I've used eucalyptus wood chips & leaves with no particular issues.

Plant oils break down fairly quickly.

o

Where I've occasionally had a problem with wood chip mulch is fresh and in the vegetable garden on young vegetables. The actual research I've seen is that you can rarely harm a tree with alleopathic mulch and I use tons of mulch from unidentified trees in my fruit tree nursery and in scores of home orchards every season.

What was said about such compounds leaching out quickly is correct- but it can take about 6 months of rainy weather as I recall. Fresh mulch may leach some of these compounds but not enough to noticeably affect young trees in my experience.

o

Here I have 150 oleanders forming a hedge or screen. When I cut them back I have a lot of wood which is chipped and shredded and used for mulch with no problems. Not with the garden or the chipper operator. Al

o

Wanted to revisit this thread and thank all the contributors. It's been less than a week and this stuff is already breaking down nicely and my new stone fruit trees seem to like it okay. They're still putting shoots out like crazy. Thanks all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here