Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries in Pots

Posted by bookwyrme 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 23:43

I have 2 Misty blueberries & 1 Sunshine in one gallon pots. I've read that the best thing for them is to be in half whiskey barrels, but they're pretty small right now. Should they be potted up to smaller pots for the year until they get bigger?

Also, what size half whiskey barrel? That sounds strange, I know, but our local garden store has 2 different sizes. I'm new to this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries in Pots

I would go from a 1 gallon to a 5 gallon and continue to grow them out another two seasons. After one or two seasons in a 5 gallon you could go up to 15 gallon and they will live in that pot for many years. Once you notice vigour starting to slow, a good root trim and repot with fresh soil will do all the good.

What are you using for your potting media?

o

Nope. You can plant them in the 1/2 whiskey barrels right now. Bigger is better if you have the room as blueberries do have pretty extensive root systems. I use 1/2 Azaela/Camellia mix and 1/2 compost. I add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup soil sulfur to help keep the potting mix acidic enough. That will take up to a year to acidify the soil, so you might need a little aluminum sulfate sprinkled on the surface and watered in very well. Use a good pH meter to monitor the pH of the soil. I've included a nice article from DWN about growing blueberries in containers. Mine are in very large terra cotta and decorative plastic pots and are doing very well.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave Wilson Nursery: Blueberries in Containers

o

I've never used a pH meter. Is there one in particular you'd recommend?

o

blueboy, can you please describe root trim? Is it generally recommended. I've repotted a Blueray and a Bluecrop twice without a root trim. They weren't root bound, I just took them from the old pot, and put them in the bigger pot with more soil around them. They seem to be growing well.

FWIW, I use a mixture of screened (through a 1/2" screen) pine bark mulch and peat moss, in about a 5:2 ratio, with a little gypsum added for calcium. I use vinegar in my water to lower the ph of the water from 8 to about 4, and a little epsom salts for magnesium. This is only my second year growing blueberries in containers, but so far so good.

o

bookwyrme,
I would go for the larger size if you have the room. I grow blueberries in much smaller containers due to limited space and they do fine.

As far as a good Ph meter I use a Kelway which is very accurate. Don't buy the cheap ones you will just waste your money.

As far as root pruning Blueberries, I have never done it to mine, doesn't mean it will not help though. I did prune my Blackberries and Boysenberries last year and noticed a big gain in fruit count and size.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here