Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Blueberries

Posted by Brett-CpG 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 23:44

Just a few quick questions about blueberries...

I bought 2 plants last year in early March, and they're alive and well this spring as well. Yet one of them grew significantly more than the other last year. One (Brightwell I believe) grew 2 new shoots last year that have tons of little flowers this year. The other (Ochlockonee) barely grew at all, with zero new shoots. They got potted up as soon as I got them, got the same soil, sun, etc all last year. Any idea why the Ochlockonee just didn't grow at all? I'm worried it will do the same this year and just not ever be very productive.

My other question has to do with the two new blueberries I bought today (Baldwin and Tifblue). They're quite healthy looking, and the Baldwin has...probably 300+ flowers/buds on it. But they're in woefully small pots, maybe 1/2 gallon each. Any ideas on when to pot them up? The ones I bought last year did fine when I potted them up in early March, although as I said, the Ochlockonee didn't really grow at all the rest of the year. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Blueberries

Hello Brett,
Were the two plants the same age and size and when first bought and allowed to fruit?
The Ochlockonee hasn't changed at all,not even for the worse,like brown stems or leaves or other unhealthy looking symptoms?
Possibly check the roots and see if there is good growth there.
A shot of Ammonium Sulfate may get it going.About a teaspoon in a gallon of water.
I'd pot up now with the other ones,in at least five gallon containers if not the ground.Make sure to loosen the root ball before planting. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here