Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Training and pruning windward branches

Posted by marc5 z5OH (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 23:49

My orchard is on a fairly windy site. On some trees, especially pears, plums, and vigorous apples, the branches on the windward side curve in toward the middle of the tree. My pears and apples are central leader, stone fruit are open. This curving creates challenges in training and pruning. What do you experienced orchardists do in this situation? Do you tie the branches down and out toward the wind direction? Do you reduce the number of branches on the windward side?

Thanks for ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Training and pruning windward branches

I am not experienced, but I would think tying them down while the branches were still young would be helpful to prevent bending. To try to fix this condition after-the-fact might be a pain in the neck.

Gosh I sure am a lot of help, aren't I. Wish you luck.

o
RE: Training and pruning windward branches

I also have a site that seems to have a prevailing wind.

On my (in-the-ground 1-2 year) open center stone trees, I pulled down the scaffolds in the direction I would like them to grow. This helped me with decision making before pruning as well. Not wanting to do it all at once or risk snapping a potential scaffold, I'll go out every so often and pull them down a little at a time.

I had scaffolds on 2 Methley plums that were gradually growing back over top of the tree. Looked kind of creepy. They are young enough that I can reverse it by pulling them down.

The apples seem to be doing fine by hanging weights glued to clothespins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here