Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

Spring time snow

Tony
11 years ago

First day of spring and it is going to snow tomorrow. The weatherman predicts 2" and about 5.5" this coming weekends. I want my normal 50's back. I think KC going to get hit with about 9". This is not a good way to start a growing season.

Tony

Comments (14)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Even the Seattle area may get some in the next few days.Unseasonably cold here.
    Just spent a week in the San Francisco Bay area.We should have their weather in about two months.About 65F during the day,So nice. Brady

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

After two years of very mild winters, winter came back to RI. We had a dusting of snow, then ice two days ago. Our temps. have been in the 30's, our normal is around 50's for this time of year. Feast or famine!

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Tony-

We've had snow on the ground here since Jan and have yet to even come close to 50F in that time... North of here not far there is 20 inches of snow on the ground. Spring snow is pretty common here (March is a very snowy month)...and I have pictures of snow in late APRIL about 10 years ago...but it lasts just a few hours at that time of the year.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

More snow today! Getting a tired of winter wonderland; have so much weeding and planting to do in the orchard.

• don555
    11 years ago

This is my garden today. Two weeks ago I thought the snow -- which has been on the ground since late October -- might be gone by the end of March. Apparently Mother Nature has a different plan.
    {{gwi:79193}}

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but I really envy all that white. It's been so dry here this winter, and last year was the worst ever for forest fires, I can't imagine what it's going to be like this summer. I covet every drop of moisture you guys are getting!

Like MrsG47 said, it's feast or famine!

• Michael
    11 years ago

Tony: all these snows are sure getting in the way of my finishing the pruning and spraying for PLC on the peaches, darned it! At least I managed to get in a few hours of pruning yesterday instead of fixing the snow thrower. Sat. and Sat. night we are forecast to get another 4 - 8". We'll see what comes of that forecast.

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Once it gets into the 40Fs here, i'm spraying for PLC...

• olpea
    11 years ago

We too are down to get another 4-8" of snow in the KC area. I know a lot of folks are anxious to get out and get some work done, but we just got through planting fruit trees and brambles, so I wouldn't mind a little more precip to settle the soil around the roots.

As been mentioned, these colder than average temps in the Midwest are a blessing. Think back to a year when frost killed your blooms and how bummed you were. Every day it stays cold is a bit more insurance against a freeze out like that.

• fabaceae_native
    11 years ago

Funny how just a couple months ago some in the upper midwest were complaining that it was too mild and no snow! I knew winter would come there, which it did, and to stay! I agree with milehigh, enjoy the moisture while more than 50% of the nation is still in drought...

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

We're getting clocked here east of Lake Ontario. Only picked up about a foot in the past few days, but some places in the REAL snowbelt east of the lake got 3'.

• Michael
    11 years ago

I took my soil probe out and sampled around just outside the rows of the orchard a week ago after the big snow had rapidly melted. This time last year it was bone dry from the top down and never improved significantly until now. The top soil (2' deep) is WET now and the top 4" of the sub soil easily makes balls but below that is still bone dry.

What a difference a year can make!

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Are drought situation persists because our soil is frozen down over 2 feet. All the snow sitting out in the yard will most likely evaporate/run off into the Mississippi/./ Its too bad because there is a lot of moisture in the snow pack, but the ground under it won't thaw out until its gone. I do think that the flood waters (when they come/which i think they will) should fill up all the marsh lands and refill the local ground table pretty good...

• steve333_gw
    11 years ago

Storm today has dropped ~14" so far, and it's still going. Welcomed moisture, but there is a bunch of stuff I need to be doing outside in garden/orchard/GH. Oh well guess it will wait.