Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Z Grating Method

Posted by tonytran 5A Omaha, NE (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 23:54

Bass is showing a Z graft method. I guess this method you can use smaller scionwood with larger rootstock or the same diameter rootstock. I will do couple grafts this way and compare it to W&T and Bark graft.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Z Graft by Bass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Z Grating Method

That seems way too complicated to me. A splice graft using electric tape (rubber electric tape if you don't want to have to cut it later) probably works as well and takes a third of the time and smaller fraction of the skill. Fewer finger cuts while you are learning too!

If you don't have same sized diameter scion wood you can match it up on one side and it generally works fine.

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 18:18

I watched Bass's other videos and OMG the boy can shred the electric oud!!!!!!

o

What is oud?

o

Is Google broke?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bassem Samaan, Playing Taqsim on Electric Oud

o

I've been grafting for quite a few years (20+?) as an amateur. I have some weakness as a 'grafter' in that there's a few areas I've never mastered success (I have never successfully budded (any style)). But I have 'dormant' grafted apple, pear (European and Asian), cherry, apricot, plum, persimmon, and pawpaw.

I usually have a high percentage of takes. My 'default' style of grafting is whip & tongue. I have never had very good luck with the 'matching one side' option for the scionwood. If the difference is more than miniscule, the percentage of takes (for me) is dismal. Bass showed me the z-graft a few years ago, and I'm a big fan when my scionwood. is small. I feel it takes almost as well as w&t, it holds itself together while being wrapped (unlike splice). It does leave two wounds that the top and bottom of the graft that take longer to heal than w&t, but I still think it's excellent. I also like bark grafting for certain applications (one of the better ones (imho) for persimmon grafting). z-grafting has the advantage of a bigger time window in which to do it during the dormant phase than bark (as the rootstock must be slipping and growing for the bark grafting to work)..

o

I used this grafting technique for the first time on a few field grafts and some bench grafts this past spring. Useful for joining smaller diameter scions with larger stock, no need to split the trunk as with cleft, and seems to make a much stronger connection than rind graft. Now some of the plums I did are pushing 3' of growth! Thanks for posting the tutorial.

o

I've watched the video several times and I'm trying to figure out if the top part of the z is for stability or also for cambium connection. (about 1:10 in the video) It doesn't look like a good connection to me, but maybe with tight tape it will work.

I too have had near zero take with bud grafting. I'd like to give this a try. With what wood is the best to practice on, and is this done only when dormant?

o

Milehigh-
The upper tab of the scion that goes across the stock stub will unite with the cambium on the far side of the stub, and help anchor the scion as it grows while also speeding the healing of exposed inner wood of the stub. It doesn't look like much when the graft is performed, but afterward that strip swells up and expands. I used parafilm over all of the graft union areas. I did a couple grafts with extra scionwood before I tried one on actual rootstock. As for bud grafting, we are nearing the season of when that is usually done- August around here(Maine)using this year's wood and going for the dormant (next year's)buds found mid-shoot.

o

I like the knife he is using. Can anyone tell what brand it is?

Edit: Manaresi from Italy?

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 17:21

o

I found the knife on Ebay and it is now in my possession, along with a cleft grafting knife (I think). Very nice knives, and great weather this week for grafting. I am very happy with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171111675612?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171111674616?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It was about $70.00 US for both knives and UPS shipping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here