Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you use to insulate containers?

Posted by CaptainInsano 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 23:55

I need to wrap my blueberry containers with foil and wanted to insulate them before hand, what works best? Can it be a s easy as a roll of fiberglass insulation, or would that work, thinking about trapped water, rotting or mold growing. Any Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you use to insulate containers?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 16:14

I think your plan will work. Also anything to shade the sunny side works for me. Just Al foil has worked.

o
RE: What do you use to insulate containers?

I think fiberglass should work.

Other ideas: Container within a container with Styrofoam popcorn layered in the bottom of the outer container and then stuffed along the sides in between the two containers. Drainage present in both containers.

Besides aluminum foil, painting the containers white can help as an alternative.

3-4" organic mulch on top to insulate the inner container. Standard rule is 6" clearance between plant and container wall for thermal mass/insulation; but insulative wall should mitigate that need.

I can attest that RootTrapper II containers work very well in rapid blueberry root development throughout the container. But gophers burrow right through the bottom. But if it were set within an outer hard container (and then insulated in between) that would not be a problem.

Provide western shade as well is easily accomplished with a 2 x 12 plank propped up on its side. I park mine also on and under the east side of a shade tree so they get overhead shade from about 11AM in the summer and transpiration cooling.

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 20:10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here