Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach and plum cross?

Posted by kaihui Z7 VA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 07 at 0:08

I planted 3 peaches and 2 same plums (Morris, Japanese) last year. I didn't know cross pollination back then. They all flowered about the same time this year. I know peaches don't need cross pollination, but can peaches cross pollinatte plums?

Thanks,

Kai

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach and plum cross?

Kai:

Peaches will not pollenize plums. If you have two Morrisii and there are no other Japanese type plums in the neighborhood, they may have difficulty setting fruit. It would be best to plant an additional Japanese plum to be on the safe side.

I planted a Morris myself this spring, but also an Ozark Beauty. And I already have a Japanese type purple plum of undetermined variety.

The peaches, however, will be fine. If they are not frozen.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

It is possible for peach and plum to cross pollinate, but with some extreme assistance, otherwise there won't be any peach plum hybrids. I have several peach plum hybrids.

The cross pollination between peach and plum will require some plant breeder's tricks, however, and does not ordinarily occur in nature.

So do as Don Yellman suggests. Plant another type of plum that blooms at the same time with what you have. Also to be sure, the different plum that you plant should have a different direct parentage than the one that you have to avoid self-incompatibilities and will have better fruit sets.

o

Thanks, Guys.

Yes, I planted a Methley this year, as well as two other Japanese plums. The problem is that two Morris I planted last year bloomed earlier than other 3 Japanese plums I planted this spring. The overlap of bloomings was very short, and I didn't see bees around.(some flies, but not may).

Oh, well, with that cold spell, I probably should not expect a harvest this anyway. I am hoping for next year.

Best,

Kai

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here