Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Tree Split Trunk

Posted by mark_roeder 4B IA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 0:25

I have a fourth year Reliance. The trunk split, probably in its second year, but maybe in its third year, on two sides. I noticed it last year as it produced peaches for the 1st time. A gelatinous substance oozed out of the trunk on each of two sides of the trunk, i.e. at 180 degrees. Now at 90 degrees, the trunk bark is splitting again. There is no gelatinous substances. I put my finger inside and it was dry. It splits at about 8 -14 inches up the trunk from the ground. The split from last year dried out and is healed. I sprayed my fruit tree spray from the local Farm Fleet on the leaves and also onto the split in the trunk last year. The chemical contained fungicides and insecticides, plus I sprayed my roses with it so it had some chemical fertilizers in it such as Miracid, and I use fish emulsion in my spray tank. No chemicals have been applied this year.

In November 2007 I painted the trunk white.

I am sure that I need to wrap the trunk. What causes this?

It is about to set flowers. We had a deluge of rain yesterday and today. It is cooling into the 30s tonight, but was in the 60s the past two days and mild nights when the split developed.

I noticed the new split either this a.m. or yesterday.

I am sure this will have an effect on tree life span, don't you think? But the rest of the tree still looks healthy.

Any advice? I planted a 2nd peach tree this year. I'd like preventative advice for the 2nd one, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Tree Split Trunk

Mark - what part of Iowa are you in? My guess is it's probably a combination of weather (lots of snow this year, colder than its been for years, extremes in spring temperatures - 70's one day, 30's the next, and the late freeze last year) and possible borers last year. You're kind of border line for growing the peaches. I tried it once near Charles City (north central) and it didn't work very well. Perhaps, if I'd found a way to wrap the tree to protect the trunk better. I've seen pictures on here of ways people wrap or insulate individual fruit trees. That might work to protect the trunk a little more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here