Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princessgrace79

Tell me about hardy kiwi....

princessgrace79
10 years ago

I've just got a wild hair about growing hardy kiwi, they are some of my favorite to eat and almost never sold at stores here. I have a southfacing wall that is shared with a neighbor who grows fuzzy kiwi on an arbor, with at least one male. Will these varieties cross polinate? I would love to only have to spend money and make room for one plant.

I've been reading about Issai, which is probably what I would get, unless I need a different variety for pollination :)

Comments (7)

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Fuzzy and Hardy do not cross polinate, as I understand it. I have Anna hardy kiwi (1 male and two female). They bloomed for the first time last year, although they did not make fruit. They are about 12 years old, but fruiting was inhibited by the fact that I moved them after 4 years and then I incorrectly pruned them for years. I hope to get my first fuit this year after I properly pruned them. I have them running up a "T" 3-post trellis. You can see the "T" trellis to the left of the second photo. I also have limited space. What you can do is graft a male onto one branch of your females and as a result not need to plant a male. I also have a male and 2 femal fuzzy kiwis (Saanichton) shown running up my patio pergola in the first photo.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Kiwi trellis to the left.

• CallmeRachel
    10 years ago

No it will not cross polinate, But Kiwi provides 16% of the RDA for fiber and has a role in the prevention of constipation and some cancers. There are many health benefits of fuzzy and hard kiwi. Asthma sufferers were found to derive the most benefit from the kiwi, even when eaten as few as 1-2 times a week. Adults can also benefit from eating the jewel-toned fruit! Eating 2-3 kiwi fruits a day can reduce the potential for blood clots and decrease triglycerides. It has also an ability to protect and repair the body from DNA damage, which could protect against cancer.

• princessgrace79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank everyone! I finally had a chat with my neighbor and further down their trellis, they have hardy kiwi As well as fuzzy, so my male is taken care of! And she said I was welcome to both the fruit this summer and to take cuttings to propagate. I already bought a plant (I think Anna?) and now just need to figure out the best place to put it. I was reading that 50-60 feet or less is best so I have to keep that in mind.

• mdo003
    9 years ago

I had an issai for a while, it died over winter before it got fruit so I never tried it but you live in a much warmer climate than I do. make sure it gets some shade or it will burn to a crisp at least mine did as a young plant, it was potted initially I had it in full sun then I put in a spot where it only got a few hours of direct sun a day and it boomed before dying. ive also grown arctic kolomitkas (these are different than hardy aka arguta kiwis i think youre talking about which are fast growers and get a lot bigger), I had a couple die before I finally got 2 established, they haven't grown much but I have gotten a few fruits to try. theyre sweeter and less sour, i would describe them similar to gold kiwis you sometimes see in stores. personally i decided i like fuzzy kiwis better and the arctics were too much trouble for me to grow, but i didn't have the space for big hardy/arguta type kiwi which are better growers

• princessgrace79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I have a pretty good spot in mind that is actually under a huge (well trimmed and not densely branched) pine tree along a fence, it gets morning and evening sun and then just dappled sun in the afternoon. We are on a south slope.

I just love the kiwi "berries" they produce - they rarely sell them in store for more than a week or two - fuzzy kiwis take so long to grow here we are too temperate I think...my neighbors always seem to be ripening around christmas.

• Charlie
    9 years ago

Princess - Actually, you are in zone 8; I am in the northern part of zone 7. We just had a very cold winter and my fuzzies came through fine, even though it was their first winter. They should grow well in your zone. I have seen the grow and produce in Northern Italy which has a similar climate. Fuzzies will produce as quickly as hardies. A lot has to do with proper pruning. I planted SAANICHTON FUZZY which seems to handle the cold better than hayward.