Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boysenberry, Blackberry, Raspberry soil PH

Posted by ftan ID (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 0:27

I recently bought some Boysenberry plants that should be arriving any day now. Can anyone tell me what that PH needs to be for Boysenberry's to produce? I live in a Idaho where the soil has a tendency to have a PH around 8. Also, what does the PH need to be to successfully grow Blackberries and Raspberries? I have grown raspberries in the past with a lot of success without having to lower the PH. Will they produce even more if I'm able to lower the PH?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boysenberry, Blackberry, Raspberry soil PH

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 0:44

I think the first kind will probably not live through your winters anyway. Otherwise

"Monitor your soil pH
closely and keep it between 5.6 and 7.0"

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Raspberries & Blackberries in the Inland Northwest & Intermountain West PDF

o

We don't know what zone ftan lives in - Idaho has a wide range (zones 2 to 7), so I would not say that they will not live through the winter. It has not been below zero in over ten years here in Boise. The bulk of Idaho's population is in zone 6. Knowing where ftan lives would help.

Lowering the PH will likely help as the arid parts of Idaho (the parts that make up zones 5,6,7) do tend to have alkaline soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Idaho Hardiness Zones

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 2:02

I've seen Boysenberry and related forms described as tender in local Extension publications. On the other hand, at least a few commercial web pages claim -10F.

Notice that it is not included in the table of recommended varieties at the pages I linked to above.

o

I planted Boysenberries years ago, and they failed to winter over in Northern Virginia. We rarely approach zero; never in the last 10 years that I can recall. I think that anything below 10 degrees will take out Boysenberries, or at least seriously damage them to the point they will not produce.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

Boysen is one of the more cold-sensitive blackberry varieties. If raspberries have done well in the past without you having to manipulate the pH, I'm sure your Boysen will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here