Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant raspberries and blackberries here; will they grow?

Posted by lilhouseonprairie 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 0:40

In an attempt to improve the microclimate surrounding my fruit trees I built a windblock from pallets. Yay upcycling!

The pallets block the West and then curve to the South which is where my trees receive the worst wind. I want to plant something on the EAST (inside the wall of pallets) that will grow up them and into the spaces of the slats. I was thinking raspberries and blackberries.

But will they grow here? They would get morning full run but only partial sun through the slats of the pallets for the second half of the day. Once they grew tall enough I don't think sun would be an issue.

But on the North side of the pallets blocking South winds it seems like that might get too much shade?

Thoughts? Alternatives? I considered bee attracting vines like wisteria and honeysuckle...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant raspberries and blackberries here; will they grow

I have my blackberries on the east side of my neighbors 6' privacy fence and mature trees. They do great and seem to appreciate the afternoon shade here in the high altitude sun. Mine are likely thornfree.

o

The Blackberries or Raspberries will be growing in between the spaces of the pallets?That will be quite a trick or a training job.
Maybe some kind of vine might be better.Where's your location? Brady

o

I'm North of Reno, NV.

Any time I've had to clear out berry vines they've been wrapped up and in between anything they could reach so I don't expect the pallets to be a huge challenge especially with some training. :)

Thanks aphahn, it's good to know the afternoon shade might go over well!

o

The caneberries will grow fine right next to the pallets, but only a small percentage of the canes will find the few inches of internal pallet space and guide themselves into it. Once established, they grow very quickly and you would have to manually place the tender tips inside the pallets every 48 hours, else they will shoot past a slat. It would be easier to just tie the canes up to the top slat once they have exceeded that height.

Rather than blocking the wind, the pallets will create a turbulence. Wind coming over the pallet tops will be deflected down. The wind may feel slightly lessened when standing within a few feet of the pallet row.

Are there any tumbleweeds in your area?

o

Hundreds of Tumbleweeds. I'm constantly collecting them and piling them into a compost pile. I think burning them does more harm than good.

The pallets are sort of temporary, though If I grow something on them I will leave them. They're here until rows of windblock trees establish themselves which will take a few years at best. I'll plant fast growing pines; scotch, white, austrain. But it will still take time! It is much warmer for several feet inside the pallets because you aren't being hit with the coldest winds directly.

o

I was thinking,for Blackberries,maybe leave the top slat on and remove the two below it and take away the one below the fourth one out.They look about five feet tall.My trellis wires are at three and five feet above the ground.That might make it easier to string the canes.Not better as a windbreak though.Brady

This post was edited by Bradybb on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 20:59

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here