Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can you graft on to a hybrid (SpiceZee NectaPlum)?

Posted by armyofda12mnkeys 7a, Phila, PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 0:56

Hey all,

Just curious about hybrids and what you can graft onto them easily...
Specifically in my case a Nectarine-Plum Hybrid like SpiceZee NectaPlum...

I guess since its part Nectarine then Peaches/Nectartines would easily graft...
and since its part Plum, then easily do other types of plums onto it (European or Asian plums?, not sure the parentage of SpiceZee)...

Or are those assumptions probably incorrect and no real good data on what you can graft onto variety like that?

Thanks!,
Ari

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can you graft on to a hybrid (SpiceZee NectaPlum)?

Plums and peaches can be grafted onto each other anyway, so yes, you can graft peach, nectarine, or plum to your hybrid.

o

".. not sure the parentage of SpiceZee"

If I did the math right, Spice zee parentage is 50% nectarine, 37.50% peach, and 12.50% plum.

o

K thanks ltheweatherman,
I'll try next year some grafting on it.

o

here is the patent description
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/PP13503.html

o

I have been told by a friend that plums do not graft well on to pluots. They seem to take but do not thrive or grow to any significant extent. His pluots have been a failure for him and he'd like to salvage the trees.

That's anecdotal and only one case--and not yours, but I mention it just as a caution.

I suggested he try an interstem of something supercompatible like Myro 29C.

o

Pluots are basically 95+% plum and I have grafted many plums successfully to pluots.

You can graft plum on peach but peach on plum doesn't always work. Since the interspecific is mostly peach I expect either peach or plum should work on it.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here