Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulberry tip turned dry and curl??

Posted by gambelsquail 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 1:10

I have a Pakistan mulberry which I planted last year.
It grows like crazy but recently I found some of the new leave have died.

And I also found a "mini gummy thing" (see picture)
Does anybody know what happened to the tree?

Is this some kind of pest?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulberry tip turned dry and curl??

Yep it is a bug. If you look just down the stem from the wilt you will see some brown lines where it girdled the shoot. They lay an egg inside the stem and the maggot hatches. Just snip off the shoots below the brown lines or gummy spot and dispose of it.

o

Thank you for the answer. Do you know which kind of bug that is? Tried to google but can't figure it out..

BTW, I bought this bare root Pakistan mulberry tree last early spring. Then the grafted part never leaf out and died. Only the root stock survived and now is 10 feet tall and luckily still gives me around 50 Pakistan mulberry this spring.

I am wondering how come the grafted part died but the root stock grows so vigorously?

Looks like they are all Pakistan mulberry tree.

o

Root stocks are vigorous.......that is one reason why they are used as root stock:)

Sorry I don't know what bug it is..perhaps it is the same cane borer that attacks raspberry and blackberry canes? Just not sure if that is the same bug. The damage is the same. My mulberries have those folded tips all over it. To me it does not matter because they are fruiting now and when done it will get severely pruned as I want it to be a bush. Here is a pic of the fruit I took the other day.

photo 20140414_121658_zps64c7cd14.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here