Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple tree firtigation

Posted by applesssss 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 1:57

Where do i buy orchard supplies? I have 20 m26 honeycrisp that i water with drip irrigation system. i am getting 40 more next week g11 g16 b9. I am going to plant a tall spindle system. I have everything ready except a supplier and firtigation program. What type of fertilizer do i need and how often? Is there an all in one fertilizer that i can use for the first year? I live 100 miles north of duluth Minnesota.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple tree firtigation

My first concern in zone 3 would be winter hardiness. So if you do decide to fertigate don't apply any after June. You don't want to stimulate late growth that might get frozen. That doesn't leave much time to use your system. So why not apply any needed fertilizer in May or June by broadcasting around the trees?

If you have decent soil your trees shouldn't need much fertilizer in that climate.

o
RE: apple tree firtigation

Thanks for your comment. I live on the shore of Lake Superior so its a bit warmer here. The soil is 4 feet of rock and sand then bedrock so irrigation is needed daily. The main reasons for building an orchard system is to protect the house from a forest fire, and i love honeycrisp apples. I fertilized in mid july last year and had green leaves on some of the trees until january. The buds are starting to open now so i think they survived the winter.
I just got my soil results back today, p 100+ and k 274 ph at 6.9. Hmmm, seems easier to just run from the forest fires.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here