Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frozen potted blueberries arrived

Posted by steve333 z5 CO Mountains (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 2:21

Well my order of three blueberry plants arrived today. And even though I went out the the mailbox just after the mailguy usually drops stuff off (been checking it every day for this package), all of the plants were frozen; that is their root balls were rock hard.

It was about 28F when I picked them up, and I don't think the soil could have frozen that hard in just an hour or two outside at 28F. Last night however was down to -2F, and I suspect that the box sat in a truck outdoors last night before being delivered today, and that is when the freezing took place.

Anyway, I placed the box in a cool dark room and after a few hours the roots/soil thawed. The plants seem to be in good shape, and don't look any worse for the freeze. At least no signs of damage at this point.

I am just wondering if it is a waste of time for me to pot these plants up. Can blueberries survive freezing temps to the roots? (If it makes any difference, one of the plants was starting to leaf out, but the leaf buds appear to be fine)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frozen potted blueberries arrived

Hello steve,
Are they Northern Highbush?I think they can,especially if they're some of those developed for colder climates.What varieties? Brady

o

All northern highbush varieties, Patriot, Ka-Bluey and Rubel.

I'll pot them up for now, since they seem to be fine, visually at least.

o

They should be fine. I overwinter my containered NHBs outdoors, and we get down to -10F. The containers were frozen solid for 3 months.

o

Those should be fine. Patriot was bred as a cold hardy variety down to zone 4. Rubel was discovered in 1913 as a wild bush in the New York/New Jersey Area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here