Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mintgum

Will blackberries 'contaminate' raspberries?

mintgum
14 years ago

I've been wanting to plant some blackberry plants for a couple years now. I'm wondering if they will cross with the raspberries I already have. I've heard boysenberries are the result of such a cross. I'd love some blackberries, but don't want to mess with family-treasured raspberry patch.

Will cross pollination be a problem? Would separation help? We have a large yard, but all well within pollinator range.

Also, what varieties would survive zone 5? What are the best tasting breeds?

Any suggestions or insights welcome!

Comments (9)

• mudflapper
    14 years ago

Unless you are planing to use the seeds you have nothing to worry about, it will not affect the fruit in any way.

• mudflapper
    14 years ago

Not sure about z5 but if you read the threads here ; Triple Crown seams to be the best of all; gonna order one myself next year, good luck!

• glenn_russell
    14 years ago

Also, check out Doyle. Supposedly (according to people here), they are every bit as productive as advertised. After much researching, I planted both Triple Crown & Doyle this year. -Glenn

• joberry
    14 years ago

I have Chester and Triple Crown. After a very harsh couple weeks of below 0 this past winter, my Chester plants are far better than the Triple Crowns

• homertherat
    14 years ago

I'm planting some thornless variety in zone 5, so I'm hoping they'll survive. The website said that they would be hardy in zone 5, so I'm hoping they aren't lying.

If you're worried about them, cut the canes to like a foot high and cover with ample amounts of straw to insulate them over the winter. That's what I plan to do.

• gator_rider2
    14 years ago

I'm very negative on doyle they taste bitter if doyle don't lock jaws they want lock. I was giving 618 doyle plants in 2001 this guy after buying them desided he did not have time to plant take care of them so gave to me three years later I destroyed all plants. Doyle want produce in zone 8. Best tasting breed is throny type blackberries they grow thorns to protect berries they so good. Chickasaw has highest production any berry plant and best flavor highest brix are sweetness a picker can adjust tartness easy with chickasaw once devolpe picking skills.

• glenn_russell
    14 years ago

Hi Gator-
    That's interesting. That's the first negative comment I've seen on Doyle flavor. I've always seen people saying they're almost as good as Triple Crown. We'll see how mine turn out. I would never plant a thorned variety when there are so many good thornless varieties. Even if they did taste 10% better, (and I've never found any literature which confirms that thorned varieties are routinely taste better than thornless) the thorns still wouldnÂt be worth it to me.
    -Glenn
    P.S. Note sure what " if Doyle don't lock jaws they want lock" meant.

Hi Homertherat-
    Do not cut your canes down to a foot high. If you do that, you will never get berries! Blackberries produce fruit on last years canes.
    -Glenn

• keepitlow
    14 years ago

Maybe Doyle is what the Mexicans are using. Their berries were 100% tasteless and left a bad bitter aftertaste - they looked very pretty in the store though.

I'm planting 4 types of blackberry to see what taste best. I also have a few red and golden rasps.

Love berries. Very hardy and pretty trouble free from my limited experience. Wish all my other plants were as vigorous as the berries!

• glenn_russell
    14 years ago

Check out the post below from Jellyman. He says "If you close your eyes, you won't be able to tell the difference between a fully ripe Doyle and and an equally ripe Triple Crown." That's good enough for me to try them, alongside my Triple Crowns, Chesters, and Wyeberry. -Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Doyle Blackberries---all that?