Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will blackberries 'contaminate' raspberries?

Posted by mintgum 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 2:22

I've been wanting to plant some blackberry plants for a couple years now. I'm wondering if they will cross with the raspberries I already have. I've heard boysenberries are the result of such a cross. I'd love some blackberries, but don't want to mess with family-treasured raspberry patch.

Will cross pollination be a problem? Would separation help? We have a large yard, but all well within pollinator range.

Also, what varieties would survive zone 5? What are the best tasting breeds?

Any suggestions or insights welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will blackberries 'contaminate' raspberries?

Unless you are planing to use the seeds you have nothing to worry about, it will not affect the fruit in any way.

o
RE: Triple Crown

Not sure about z5 but if you read the threads here ; Triple Crown seams to be the best of all; gonna order one myself next year, good luck!

o

Also, check out Doyle. Supposedly (according to people here), they are every bit as productive as advertised. After much researching, I planted both Triple Crown & Doyle this year. -Glenn

o

I have Chester and Triple Crown. After a very harsh couple weeks of below 0 this past winter, my Chester plants are far better than the Triple Crowns

o

I'm planting some thornless variety in zone 5, so I'm hoping they'll survive. The website said that they would be hardy in zone 5, so I'm hoping they aren't lying.

If you're worried about them, cut the canes to like a foot high and cover with ample amounts of straw to insulate them over the winter. That's what I plan to do.

o

I'm very negative on doyle they taste bitter if doyle don't lock jaws they want lock. I was giving 618 doyle plants in 2001 this guy after buying them desided he did not have time to plant take care of them so gave to me three years later I destroyed all plants. Doyle want produce in zone 8. Best tasting breed is throny type blackberries they grow thorns to protect berries they so good. Chickasaw has highest production any berry plant and best flavor highest brix are sweetness a picker can adjust tartness easy with chickasaw once devolpe picking skills.

o

Hi Gator-
That's interesting. That's the first negative comment I've seen on Doyle flavor. I've always seen people saying they're almost as good as Triple Crown. We'll see how mine turn out. I would never plant a thorned variety when there are so many good thornless varieties. Even if they did taste 10% better, (and I've never found any literature which confirms that thorned varieties are routinely taste better than thornless) the thorns still wouldnt be worth it to me.
-Glenn
P.S. Note sure what " if Doyle don't lock jaws they want lock" meant.

Hi Homertherat-
Do not cut your canes down to a foot high. If you do that, you will never get berries! Blackberries produce fruit on last years canes.
-Glenn

o

Maybe Doyle is what the Mexicans are using. Their berries were 100% tasteless and left a bad bitter aftertaste - they looked very pretty in the store though.

I'm planting 4 types of blackberry to see what taste best. I also have a few red and golden rasps.

Love berries. Very hardy and pretty trouble free from my limited experience. Wish all my other plants were as vigorous as the berries!

o

Check out the post below from Jellyman. He says "If you close your eyes, you won't be able to tell the difference between a fully ripe Doyle and and an equally ripe Triple Crown." That's good enough for me to try them, alongside my Triple Crowns, Chesters, and Wyeberry. -Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Doyle Blackberries---all that?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here