Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1st yr peaches pull off all fruit?

Posted by yawiney 7b/8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 2:57

The peaches were in 15 gallon pots. Went in in October. My Early Treat already has some good size ones on it (I thinned it down to just six). Fruits on the others are still small enough to justify pulling off.
I am planning to pick off all the fruit on my bare root trees.
Not sure about the Mullberry though.
Also, any natural way to fight peach leaf curl?
Much thanks to the good folks on this forum for all the help to this point.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1st yr peaches pull off all fruit?

You probably want the tree to put its energy into root development the first year, so removing the fruit is a good idea. If you do not, it should still be okay. I did not remove fruit the first year and most fell off of their own accord.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 8:50

Peaches are somewhat unique. Many fruit trees are prone to "stall" easily. I've sometimes had difficulty sizing up apple and plum trees, at least difficulty sizing them up very fast.

I've found peaches are different. If they are planted in well drained soil (or a raised planting) mulched generously, and sprayed for leaf curl, they grow like a weed regardless of abuse. You can do all kinds of things to them you'd never consider doing to a young apple. Prune them aggressively multiple times through the summer, forgo irrigation during drought, let them bear fruit as soon as they want. They will still put on generous growth and don't slow down.

I'd let your peach tree fruit if it wants. Just thin the fruits to about 1 per 12" of branch space so they don't excessively pull down the new forming scaffolds.

o

Thanks oplea, they aren't raised up too high but they were planted on the higher part of the property. Any advice on whether i would need to pull fruits off the mullberry? it wa bare root this winter.

o

I can't imagine much reason to thin fruits on mulberry, unless the tree seems to be in trouble for some reason.

The fruits probably won't weigh down branches a whole lot. And those trees grow fast that setting it back would seem insignificant.

Actually, I have some newly grafted scion on my formerly-fruitless mulberry and they look like they will set fruit. I will let them, even though they were just grafted. My only fear is a big crow landing on them to eat the berries and snapping off the grafts.

This post was edited by yukkuri_kame on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 8:03

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here