Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it possible to grow fruiting avocado trees in zones 6-7?

Posted by takadi (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 3:16

I live in the DC suburbs in VA. Is it possible to grow avocados outside? How far can these plants go before they call it quits? Is it possible to have fruits, or even flowers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it possible to grow fruiting avocado trees in zones 6-7?

Takadi:

I live in the DC Virginia suburbs too. It's not even possible to grow avocado trees outdoors, far less blossoms or fruit.

Avocados are tropical, or at best sub-tropical.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

That surprises me Jellyman, when I went there it was 110 in the shade. I suppose you get extremes of cold too though.

OT, any of you two ever go to "The Vault" nightclub? Now that was memorable back in '96. Good times!

o

Even in zone 9 where Avocados are grown commercially it is often difficult to grow one avocado tree in your yard and ever get any fruit. In your zone I would expect an avocado to frost to the ground every year. Al

o

A co-worker was telling me about a avocado variety that his parents gave him. It is a small fruiting and thin skinned variety that you eat skin and all. According to his parents it is cold hardy and they are growing one outdoors in Zone 8, West Texas. His parents obtained their specimen from a family member in Mexico. He planted a little sapling this year.

Sorry, I don't have more info, but I thought I would share this. Maybe someone here knows more about this variety of avocado?

o
RE: Is it possible to grow fruiting avocado trees in zones 6?

And after a quick google for cold hardy avocado I'm guessing it is the Opal variety, but I'll see if I can confirm it. It is evergreen to 14 degrees.

Even the cold hardy varieties wouldn't probably be able to survive in Zone 6 though I'm guessing. There are several cold hardy varieties though: Opal, Mexicola, Mexicola Grande, Gainesville, and Homestead.

o

Eh I guess I'll give my poor avocado saplings their first and last year....

o

I live in zone 6, and I grow Avocado. Sure you can grow one but not kept outside in winter. I have Opal I got from Texas. Where the mother tree took a 14 F weather the one time and recovered. However it will not grow outisde.
I keep mine in a container in the greenhouse.

Bass

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 23:57

Low readings for tender plants come from warm climates where it might be 70F two days after the hard frost. The soil and roots do not freeze.

o

Could be the Opal, but my guess is the Fantastic, which has a paper thin skin that can also be eaten. Is supposed to be the most cold hardy.

o

I have an avocado tree grown from seed that is about 8 years old. It is in a 5 gal. container, and has survived a frost of 18 degrees. This past winter I didn't bring it in when I knew it was going to freeze, as I have other winters. It looks great, and is showing healthy new growth. For the past 3 yrs it has bloomed. Last year it was covered in bloom, and produced fruit that didn't all fall off for the first time. The fruit looked like small dark cherries with a cherry-like pit. I let them ripen until they started falling off. They were sweet and juicy, like something you would make into jam. Nothing like an avocado! Of course, this is not a grafted tree, so the fruit would not be true. Is it too late to graft this tree? Any comments on this would be appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here