Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ensete2002

pruning boysenberries

ensete2002
12 years ago

i have some boysenberries that werent pruned last year, so they have growth that already fruited last year, overwintered canes with flower buds on them, and soon i expect there will be new canes coming up, if they arent already.

i know the canes are biennials. here is the question:

can i cut out the brown leafless canes [more like vines really] without worrying there might be nice green growth further along that same cane? for example, with garden roses, most nice green canes are emerging from a brown thicker cane close to the base of the plant, and if you cut off those brown canes in april, all you would have have is a 2" tall clump of stubs.

everything is tangled together, and i do intend to do a better job this season with two wires/tiers. i would like to cut out the brown sections if i wont wind up cutting off productive wood.

ps, i know boysenberries are inappropriate for my climate, but they dont know that. in fact, they want to take over a nearby raspberry row; i have to keep pruning them out of ground level of the raspberries where they are running along the soil surface.

thanks.

nina

Comments (3)