Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning boysenberries

Posted by ensete2002 7A (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 3:49

i have some boysenberries that werent pruned last year, so they have growth that already fruited last year, overwintered canes with flower buds on them, and soon i expect there will be new canes coming up, if they arent already.
i know the canes are biennials. here is the question:
can i cut out the brown leafless canes [more like vines really] without worrying there might be nice green growth further along that same cane? for example, with garden roses, most nice green canes are emerging from a brown thicker cane close to the base of the plant, and if you cut off those brown canes in april, all you would have have is a 2" tall clump of stubs.
everything is tangled together, and i do intend to do a better job this season with two wires/tiers. i would like to cut out the brown sections if i wont wind up cutting off productive wood.
ps, i know boysenberries are inappropriate for my climate, but they dont know that. in fact, they want to take over a nearby raspberry row; i have to keep pruning them out of ground level of the raspberries where they are running along the soil surface.
thanks.
nina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning boysenberries

I had the same question a little while back, try the link below. It may not answer all of your Q's but it's a start.

Dale

Here is a link that might be useful: Boysenberry pruning

o

Forget about how your roses grow. Boysenberry canes that fruited last year are goners now. Remove them immediately. It is common practice to remove them as soon as fruiting is finished. At this point, the sooner the better. There's always going to be a tangle, but you can minimize it by removing vines immediately after fruiting. Where I live the berry farm workers leave the new boysenberry or marionberry canes laying on the ground. When the older canes have finished fruiting, they are removed and the new vines are lifted off the ground, looped like garden hoses, and attached up on the support wires. Looks strange. I'm guessing it's not optimal but they don't have time to arrange them and spread them out.

o

...but it may be optimal for machine harvesting if you are referring to commercial fields rather than u-pick fields.

Nina, yes, cut all the fruited canes down to near the ground and leave the flower-budded canes alone. Try to do this before the newest canes emerge, so they will not be damaged during pruning (or just prune up higher than the new emerging canes).

The old fruited canes may have some new growth further along, but you will not get many or any berries from them, plus you have to draw the line somewhere or risk having a rat's nest of canes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here