Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dorman Red Raspberry plants

Posted by noss Zone 9 Lafayette (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 4:44

I bought two Dorman Red Raspberry plants at a local nursery and they have the strangest blossoms on them that I've ever seen. My sister's red raspberry plants had regular white blossoms on them, but these have no petals and there's pink in the center. Do they have some kind of disease to make blossoms like that? Or, are they failed berries? It seems very early for them to have tried to make berries, but I know nothing of this variety of red raspberry. The nursery doesn't really know much about their plants, I've found, so I can't get any answers from them.

Dorman raspberries are supposed to grow this far South, so I got them and the girls at the nursery said that people really like them and they do well here, so I don't know what to think.

Can anyone clue me in as to what's going on with my plants?

Thanks,

Vivian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dorman Red Raspberry plants

If you can post a picture, that would really help.

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9 Lafayette (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 21:46

I'll get my husband to do that if he has the time.

I looked more closely this afternoon and the pink area are tiny petal-looking things which are over centers that look like they should have pollen on them. I'm watching other buds now to see what happens with them.

Supposedly, Dorman is supposed to do well here.

Thanks,

Vivian

o

Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 13:47

Here are a couple of photos of the Dorman Red Raspberry blossoms. There are no white petals, only the green part that would be under the berry and tiny, pink rudimentary-looking petals.

Thanks, Vivian

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I did some search and found pictures of Dorman rasberry flowers. They look exactly like yours. Nothing to worry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorman rasberries

o

Mon, May 9, 11 at 4:24

Well, Dang, Olga!

Now all I have to look forward to is tasteless raspberries on vigorous, pretty plants.

Well, it was worth a try.

All those blossoms I show in the pictures dried up without fruit forming, so I just kept watering the plants and talking to them.

Yesterday, I looked at the one plant and it had three berries on it! The newer blossoms that are coming on the plants are different. They are round and plump and those are the ones that the three berries came from.

Whoopie-dooo, huh? LOL!

At least I have my two Arapaho thornless blackberries that are ripening, except they are probably tasteless, too?

Thanks,

Vivian

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8aS.C..USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 23:04

Does Dorman Red Raspberry vine root if It stay on the ground though the winter?
If yes then, does all raspberry plant do this?

o

I bought Dorman Red about 8 years ago in zone 9. I had trouble getting much production. I had them in a somewhat shady area and did not water much. We moved to zone 8 three years ago and I transplanted them to a full sun spot and watered regularly. 5 plants produced about 10 gallons last year! I trellised them on cattle panel and they are sending out 10-15 ft vines! I think I'll have more this year. They vines on the ground do root and they will produce in a couple years. Do not cut vines back like regular bush raspberries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here