Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noss_gw

Dorman Red Raspberry plants

noss
13 years ago

I bought two Dorman Red Raspberry plants at a local nursery and they have the strangest blossoms on them that I've ever seen. My sister's red raspberry plants had regular white blossoms on them, but these have no petals and there's pink in the center. Do they have some kind of disease to make blossoms like that? Or, are they failed berries? It seems very early for them to have tried to make berries, but I know nothing of this variety of red raspberry. The nursery doesn't really know much about their plants, I've found, so I can't get any answers from them.

Dorman raspberries are supposed to grow this far South, so I got them and the girls at the nursery said that people really like them and they do well here, so I don't know what to think.

Can anyone clue me in as to what's going on with my plants?

Thanks,

Vivian

Comments (9)

• nanokitty
    13 years ago

If you can post a picture, that would really help.

• noss
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll get my husband to do that if he has the time.

I looked more closely this afternoon and the pink area are tiny petal-looking things which are over centers that look like they should have pollen on them. I'm watching other buds now to see what happens with them.

Supposedly, Dorman is supposed to do well here.

Thanks,

Vivian

• noss
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are a couple of photos of the Dorman Red Raspberry blossoms. There are no white petals, only the green part that would be under the berry and tiny, pink rudimentary-looking petals.

Thanks, Vivian

{{gwi:80391}}
    {{gwi:80392}}

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

I did some search and found pictures of Dorman rasberry flowers. They look exactly like yours. Nothing to worry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorman rasberries

• jolj
    12 years ago

Does Dorman Red Raspberry vine root if It stay on the ground though the winter?
    If yes then, does all raspberry plant do this?

• texanturner
    11 years ago

I bought Dorman Red about 8 years ago in zone 9. I had trouble getting much production. I had them in a somewhat shady area and did not water much. We moved to zone 8 three years ago and I transplanted them to a full sun spot and watered regularly. 5 plants produced about 10 gallons last year! I trellised them on cattle panel and they are sending out 10-15 ft vines! I think I'll have more this year. They vines on the ground do root and they will produce in a couple years. Do not cut vines back like regular bush raspberries.

• Tom Gundlach
    7 years ago

I have Apache thornless Blackberries under 70% shade cloth in Phoenix area. Very tasty and picked the first crop of the season yesterday

• catfishhoward
    7 years ago

My Dorman Red in Atlanta Ga are producing really good and they root from there tips really easy, after the tip of a cane roots I cut the canes in winter to about 2 ' from the root at the ground and tie the cut end up the my trellis, now I have new canes coming from the rooting so I cut the old cane off.

Another berry you might want to try is a thornless Loganberry, mine is growing great and the berry taste great, the taste is between a raspberry and blackberry, it has long trailing canes, they also root very easy.

My Heritage is spreading like crazy but I didn't get much off the canes this year from last years growth but I just planted it last summer. They will bear on 1st year canes so many people will cut all the old canes off before spring and let all the new canes grow up during the summer to fruit in fall, this way you don't have to worry about winter kill.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County