Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildlifeman_gw

transplanting plum suckers ( can i ) ?

wildlifeman
16 years ago

i have some absolutely wonderful plums in a couple of groves that i would like to start new groves of same.

been trying to propagate some seeds but thought it might be easier to transplant some suckers.

can i do this and how should i go about harvesting the suckers ?

if it was a black locust or bradford pear i would just start digging and hacking away at the mother trees root system knowing i couldn't kill it. i would rather pass on this idea if i would be jeopardizing the mother tree of these scrumptious plums.

thanks !

wildlifeman

Comments (4)

• thisisme
    16 years ago

The sucker will be like the root stock used and they will not produce the fruit that you know and love.

What you need to do is some air layering of some small branches to replicate the trees you already have.

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

wildlifeman,
    If these are groves of suckering native plums, then the suckers are genetic clones of the original seedlings in these clumps, and the fruit will be identical to those you are so fond of.

The native Chickasaw plums here in the Southeast sucker prolifically, and it's a simple thing to dig a few suckers and transplant them - Voila! you'll have your own plum thicket in virtually no time.
    Air layering might work, but digging suckers in the dormant season and transplanting will be much easier - and establishment will probably be faster as well. I'd be marking some likely prospects now, for digging this fall or late next winter.
    Some of these native plums root relatively easily from cuttings, so if you'd care to give that a try now, you don't have much to lose.

• Beeone
    16 years ago

If these plums are on their own roots, you can just dig up some suckers and transplant. Dig away from the sucker far enough to get some of its roots, then prune the top if necessary to keep the roots and top in balance.

If your plums are grafts, you can transplant the suckers as new rootstocks, then graft cuttings from the branches of the the tree, timing your grafting for the proper time, such as later this summer with bud grafts or next spring with whip and tongue. With a ready supply of both rootstocks and scions, you can afford to experiment and learn which grafting technique works best for you.

• wildlifeman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thisisme,

air-layering is something i must try and learn. got a lot on my plate ate the moment,but in the future with luck...

luckyp and beeone,

don't have a clue how these trees got their start. they are very old and in groves. basically 3 " varieties " blue prune type. reddish purple round dealies and blue round guys that are pretty fair that if left on until the 2nd or 3rd week of nov. they turn really sweet. the previous 2 are scrumptious in sept. and oct.

i will for sure dig me some suckers and replant, all i have to lose is a little time and work.

will be attending a grafting class next spring at the local ext.office. am growing different rootstocks this year.

thanks all,
    wildlifeman