Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pears not waking up?

Posted by macmanmatty2 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 5:46

Hello almost every tree in my yard has woke up by now expect 10 European pear trees that I grafted (i got the scions from Santa Cruz CA) I grated them in spring of 2102 and they grew great that year some putting on 5ft of growth. But now none of them are waking up? they aren't dead just still dormant. the varieties are Bergamote Esperen, Beurre d'Anjou, Bergamote d'Et,
Belle Lucrative, Butirra Precoce Morettini, Citron de Carmes, Fondante de
Moulins Lille, Glou-morceau, Le Lectier, Passe Crassane. Could be lack of chill? But, I have some apples rated as very high to high chill and most now are in full bloom? Including smokehouse, Hyde king, newtown pippin, ashmeds kerne,l winesap, westfield seek no further claygate pearmain and others. Are apples just more adaptable to less chill than pears? We get about at total of 700-600 hours below 45 and above 32 each year from dec 1 to march 31.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pears not waking up?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 14:27

macman:

My pears of all kinds seem to be less bothered by marginal chilling than the apples. The pears have more concentrated bloom, less blind wood, and better foliage. I've got Bosc, Comice, Seckel, Housi, and Olympic.

Our chilling might be enough different to make a difference. And maybe yours just need more time. But most of my pears bloomed at least a month ago and were frozen out about March 25th.

o
RE: pears not waking up?

I had one pear tree that leafed out late this year. It was shaded some by a large tree nearby and once I cut the tree down it leafed out and is blooming now. Though I have an apple tree in full sun that still hasn't leafed out though it was only planted this year so it might still be establishing roots. The tree is still alive and should leaf out in the next week or so. I would just give them more time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here